Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Okay so this Wednesday (hopefully) I am planning to try again for the 3rd time to get Fedora Core 4 dual booted with Windows XP, and I have 1 or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What partitons to make?

Okay so this Wednesday (hopefully) I am planning to try again for the 3rd time to get Fedora Core 4 dual booted with Windows XP, and I have 1 or 2 quick questions to ask.

Firstly, when it asks me where to install grub should I install it on the /boot partition (which I made before 1024 cylinder on the first hard drive, and its only 50mb) or somewhere else?

And secondly: how many, what size, and what type of partitions should I make. I'm not talking ext3 or NTFS or anything. I am wondering about /home, /var, and things like that.

I know for sure I need a swap, /boot, and /, but what else?

I have two 160GB hard drives and the first one has a 70GB Windows partition and I can't remember what else (I'm typing this at school so I don't know off the top of my head). The second one has at least 60GB of a music partition and mabye up to 80GB, but again, I don't remember. Everything else I can pretty much use for Linux, but I don't want to over- or underkill it.

The only problems that I have are with partitoning and if I get this solved, and get Linux up I know I can work through almost anything else (hopefully).

Thanks for any feedback.

With swap, /boot and / you'll be fine, you don't need any more (well you can do it without /boot, but if you futz things up it can be good to have it separate).

Yes you install GrUB to /boot (if you have /boot, otherwise stick it in / ).

Size wise you don't need /boot to be more than ~100MB, swap, I wouldn't make it more than 512MB in size, and as for / give it the biggest partition you have - since this is where you save things and install programs.

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Well, all I've got is a 10 gb / partition and a 512 swap partition, don't really need much else. For the base sistem (your root partition, /, without /home ), I've never gone above 5 gig. I also have a fat32 partition for music (so I can listen to it both in windows and linux). You might also make a /home partition (this is where your files will be stored, as well as your program settings). How large of a /home partition you need is totally up to you.

I'm the type of person who doesn't know how to fill up a 40 gig harddrive, so I can't help you with 320 gb's of space
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Just Joined!
    Yeah I know. I found the second hard drive really cheap and I couldn't resist, but now that I think about it was kind of a waste, I don't need all that space and I have no clue what to do with it.

So are you saying just swap, /root, /home partitons? I have heard of partitions like /var and stuff and I don't know if I should make those.

Also, does anyone know how much space a full install of Fedora Core 4 will be? I'm not planning on installing the full thing, but I am gonna make that number the minimum on my partition and I would like to know.

I think a full Fedora 4 install is something like 7 Gb's. But you can always install third-party programs afterwards, so I'd suggest going with 10 gb's. And don't worry, /home, /boot, swap and / are more than enough.
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Just Joined!
    OK, sweet. Thank you for the help, I think that I have it now.

This wednesday I get out of school early and I am gonna attempt (3rd try) to get this Fedora Core installed.

Just to make sure this is what I am gonna do:

- Install GrUB on /boot on before 1024th cylinder on first HD, before Windows (not on MBR)
    - Make a /, swap, and /home partitions on my hd, with their proper sizes
    - Install and be happy because I got linux working (fingers crossed)

One more thing. Anyone recommend anything to convert NTFS to FAT32? I have some music on a 60GB NTFS and I wanna make it FAT32 to be more...um...agreeable with both os's.

partitionmagic is the only one i know of that can convert filesystems from one to the other

andy
    SLOMO: acer extensa 5235 2.2ghz,2gb ram 160gb hdd wireless
    SPEEDY: homebrew desktop,Amd x2 dualcore,2gb ram,500gb +1tb( 2x500gb) hdd suse 11.3,32mb fibreline
    registered linux user #401845

... but I don't think you can convert it while keeping all of that music around. But note that linux can read ntfs partitions, which means that you can still listen to all of that music from linux, though you won't be able to write to the partition. Oh, and according to some info I came across, a full fedora 4 install is 6.9 gb's
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Linux Guru
    You should know, too that it's easy to add partitions later. If you install lots of applications, /usr/ can get pretty big: if you started to out-grow your space with everything on one partition, you could easily create a new partition, temporarily mount it to /mnt/, move all files from /usr/ to /mnt/ and then re-mount the partition to /usr/. Edit /etc/fstab to have the new /usr/ partition mounted on boot.

As to the reasons for having different partitions (nothing you need to get real serious about on a first-time install), you can read Linux Filesystem Hierarchy which explains reasons of security, maintenance and more.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    Well yeah I was thinking of just keeping NTFS, but when I get some music off Bittorrent...I mean buy it I don't wanna always have to go to Windows. I know there are Linux torrent clients, but the only question is that I cannot download it to the Music partition.

I have done research and have heard of some Linux proggies that can write to NTFS, but I heard they aren't very reliable. Any comments on this?

oh yes and I have read a version of that article on the partition heirarchy before, does anyone know of a printable version. I don't wanna copy and paste the whole thing into Open office

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast