Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i just purchased an apple imac G3 333mhz on ebay for $23 + shipping , to use as a dual boot mac/linux system...i know some versions of linux work on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Just Purchased An Imac G3 Which Linux Works On Mac?

i just purchased an apple imac G3 333mhz on ebay for $23 + shipping , to use as a dual boot mac/linux system...i know some versions of linux work on ppc but not sure which ones? any help is greatly appreciated

ubuntu, fc4, gentoo suse?

imho, i would try ubuntu first. hardware detection is awesome (on x86) and it is debian based.

just me 2 cents...
    Last edited by Weedman; 12-20-2005 at 02:10 PM.
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

Debian would certainly be the best solution, as there are many ressources on HOW-TO install Debian on iMac G3.

Plus, for pretty much any other distros out there (except Slackware) it is a very low end computer.

You can try Ubuntu, but I'm not sure it will work.

Just remember to install the PPC version of Debian.

Check out this thread for more info:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/t51...n-imac-g3.html
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Yellow Dog is one that I hear a lot of, but is kinda older. I have heard alright things about Slackintosh. Ubuntu and Debian also have PPC versions...that is about all I have found when I was looking around.
    Join the Open Source Revolution. Support GNU/Linux.

Find me at: www.deeksworld.com
    Registered GNU/Linux User #395777

Linux User
    Mac OSX...its bsd based
    All i want for christmas is a new liver....a second chance to get afflicted with Cirrhosis

Just Joined!
    i plan on upgrading to OS X, but i want to run a version of linux on it too...i think ill try debian (even though ive had no success installing it on this system last year...kept givin me error after error)

Just Joined!
    steve jobs may want my head on a platter shortly...just bought another imac...a G3 400mhz plus the G3 333 i bought last week...both of em cost me under a hundred together...bought em just to put linux on them lol...may have one of the macs so it dual boots linux and OS X ...unsure yet...bought the g3 400 because i can pop a super drive in it...now i can just hope an pray linux recognizes it lol <surfs back to ebay> hope every one has a merry christmas/quanza/ holiday

Quote Originally Posted by dlippiett
    i know some versions of linux work on ppc but not sure which ones?
    The ones that say specifically PPC will work on your Mac. Most major distributions have a PPC version. Strictly my personal opinion, though, the best OS for running Apple hardware is Apple's OS.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I think linux would perform better than OS X on a G3 system, I own an iBook G4 and have run both linux and OS X on it and linux does perform better it just lacks wifi drivers (they are still in development) .. so i would have to recommend either Ubuntu or debian and while i know they are very similar, it just depends on how much control you want over your system and if you want to compile your own kernel, etc. blah blah blah ... anyhoo, in the end its all up to you ... those are just my two cents.

/me

Just Joined!
    Thanks techie and every one else that helped me...i recently learned what ppc meant (i know your all probaly saying in your head "ya that dumb?" lol) this - err these will be my first macs
    and i wont be using wifi so im good in that aspect, just one more teeny question...(after all the systems are where i want them, then you can behead me ) would i be able to network both imacs to my reg computer...either going to run win2k, or im going to take another whack at gentoo, or ill just say the hell with it an stay on fc 3 and i dont want to spend $50+ on a router, and i have 2 network cards laying around...so would i be able to install the nic's in this system, and have the macs wired to them so they all can share my dsl and printer? thanks...and if i dont get back later today have a merry christmas too!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast