Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
.....at half three in the morning it certainly seems like that Scratched the itch and installed a copy of Woody I'd had lying around for a while on DVD. Installation ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Debian, Slackware hell.....

.....at half three in the morning it certainly seems like that

Scratched the itch and installed a copy of Woody I'd had lying around for a while on DVD.

Installation seemed fine, although the options for the device renderer didn't include my nvidia card, although it did allow me to choose the 'nv' driver later on. On completion of installation I typed startx only for my world to fall apart. X didn't even get going, all sorts of error messages. A nose through the XF86Config-4 file reveals video devices set to 'generic'. That probably explains it. A reinstallation is called for methinks. 40 mins later X crashes & burns again. Being unfamiliar with Debian and a command line editing coward I consider my options.

Hmm, eyes alight on the copy of Slackware 9.1, let's give that a go. Installation looked good. Install 'everything' chosen. Type startx and we're into KDE. Wahey, we're there. Installs nvidia drivers, tweaks XFree86 file, installs Enemy Territory and we're away. Sort of. Seems a bit quiet? Hmm, no sound. Perhaps the messages about 'i810' that flashed past on the startup were in fact telling me that it wasn't actually loading the sound modules. Troof. Install had added i810 support but come boot up it was creating loads of errors. Worse was to come. Slack's installation of LILO had left out the Windows option (dual boot). I was in trouble. If the kids find out there's going to be murder.

OK, simply install Mandrake 8.2. Tis getting late and this should install quick. And it did, about 15 mins was all it took. Great, let's try the acid test, will it allow me 3DOpenGL capability? Erm, no. Dependancy hell. Damn. Still, at least the kids can boot into Windows now.

Now it's about 2am and I have to be up at half six. Let's go for it. In goes the Woody. Install goes well. X crashes and burns. No surprise there. In goes the Knoppix Live and the hunt is on. There's not much out there regarding nvidia and Debian is there? Finally find a walk-through for getting X and nvidia working under Debian. Apt-get nvidia kernel sources, same for nvidia-glx-src. Tries to get nvidia drivers to install with dpkg -i (whatever that is ) but no joy. Haven't the foggiest how to download files from http on the command line. Never mind, got some nvidia binary installers on a cd. Away we go and......they fail to install. Can't find kernel headers. Quick search through the hard drive reveals there aren't any. dselect and I find some on the Woody dvd. Install. Add a symbolic link cos they're not in usr/src/linux as the installer expects and run the nvidia installer again. Almost makes it, but the error message is along the lines of "wrong headers". Oops! A quick uname -r reveals kernel is 2.4.20.summat. I've installed 2.4.18 headers. A nose through dselect reveals 2.4.18 is the highest release on the disk. Sigh. white flag is raised.

In goes the slackware 9.1 disk again at just gone 3 in the morning. 20 minutes later it's up and running, albeit very quietly. I'll just pretend I've got the volume turned down. Bed beckons.

And this morning? Well the Debian fairy hasn't been along and made it all better.

Help?

I'd like to get Debian up and running. Anyone know how to get the beast working with nvidia chipsets? Failing that i810 sound support under Slackware?

Ta

BTW, Knoppix rocks!
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

You can configure xfree in Debian by doing a "xf86config" (textbased but easy) and "xf86cfg" (graphic but can be somewhat confusing IMO).

I've also had some problems with some modules in slackware, the 9 serie that won't load, but I used another module.

Can you say what "dmesg" says about the matter if you decide to install slackware again? I use the exact same module as you, if that is i810_audio its trying to load.

And the LILO is very easy to fix, just throw two lines extra in the config, update and boot into windows as much as you'd like

Good luck

Linux Engineer
    Ta Kriss.

Slack is still installed at the moment. I'll run dmesg when I get home (wassit do by the way?)

LILO is sorted now.

I've been trawling the net today and found some more info about the Debian problem. Will probably reinstall tonight.

Ta.
    Lansbury's Lido

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    When you start up the computer, dmesg prints out what the kernel says, or the kernel buffer if you will

Code:
    NAME
           dmesg - print or control the kernel ring buffer
    It basically prints out what the kernel tells you at boot time that scrolls so quickly you can't see it.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Engineer
    Got Slack working by running alsaconf. !!

Unfortunately I still get the errors on boot. Worse was that logging in as a user fails to start x.

In goes the woody again. Found some pretty clear instructions. Got so far until I needed the kernel source to generate the headers. Unfortunately my dvd doesn't include the kernel source. No probs, I'll download from the debian site. No I won't their packages site is off-line cos of the recent package scare :sob:

Now I'm installing Slack, again!!!!!!

Sigh.
    Lansbury's Lido

maybe you should jst install knoppix on yoru computer. it is based of debian and there is an installer built into the live cd. jst a thought tho
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by big_k105
    maybe you should jst install knoppix on yoru computer. it is based of debian and there is an installer built into the live cd. jst a thought tho
    Might be an idea.

I discovered that X wasn't shutting down when I logged out of KDE on Slack 9.1. Have got a 9.0 disk knocking about which I'm installing at the moment.
    Lansbury's Lido

Linux Engineer
    man, for all this trouble you could've had gentoo installed and working 3 times over with no dep or source problems... if you're looking to try a more advanced distro, try gentoo... it's not as scary as you might think...
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Linux User
    How's Slack going? Any problems? Lets fix em one at a time... Whats first?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast