Find the answer to your Linux question:
I tried to view my hardware configuration in order to see what items were installed correctly by Red Hat 8. However when I double click hardware browser in the menu. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

problems with Hardware Browser on Red Hat 8???

I tried to view my hardware configuration in order to see what items were installed correctly by Red Hat 8. However when I double click hardware browser in the menu. I recieve a message This may take a while.... Then an empty window flashes real quick and disappears.

How come hardware browser doesnt show anything??
    And is there another way to look at my hardware either through the GUI or Console commands???? if so how????? im intrested in finding out if my Conexant modem is seen by Red Hat 8? it is on PCI slot 4?

Linux Guru
    In that case, you can either run lspci or cat /proc/pci and a shell. However, that is a known bug in kudzu. Upgrade kudzu to the latest version and the bug will magically go away.

Just Joined!
    ok so Kudzu is really the program that controls Hardware browser??? or is Hardware Browser also called Kudzu??

how would i upgrade KUDZU? or where would i download it?
    and in the other case how would i run a shell to look at /proc/pci ????

Thanks for you input it really appreciated!!!! :P

Linux Guru
    Kudzu is the program that RedHat made to detect hardware in your computer. It looks at different files, like PCI, ISA and the PS/2 ports. Kudzu is what is run when you boot your system and it says "Looking for new hardware". The hardware browser uses a library from kudzu to look at the configuration file that the kudzu program assembles from its different inputs. It is that library that has a bug.
    To upgrade kudzu, just go to http://rpmfind.net/, search for kudzu, download the latest version, and upgrade your system with it.

If you want to do it from the shell anyway, which does have its advantages, such as yielding more info, the best way is probably to use lspci, since that allows you to customize the output more exactly. For example, just running lspci basically just prints what in the different slots, while "lspci -v" also prints what resources they currently use and so on. Run /sbin/lspci if you're a normal user.

Just Joined!
    oh ok
    so to run the shell just lspci??? ok i though the command to run shell was sh <filename>.sh ???? I just want to clarify this because im new to the world of linux???

Linux Guru
    No, lspci isn't a shell script. What you should do is just start a shell in a terminal of your choice (ie. start xterm, konsole or gnome-terminal depending on what GUI you're using), then just type "/sbin/lspci" and pressing enter. That will return a list of PCI cards in your system.

Just Joined!
    Ok i check that website you told me about and downloaed and try to installed the latest Kudzu for Red Hat 8. when i tryed to install it says it is already installed on the system??????

Linux Guru
    Yes, you shouldn't install, but upgrade.
    I don't know how to do it in these GUI thingies. Open a shell and run
    Code:
    su -c "rpm -Uhv <file>"
    Where <file>, of course, should be replaced with the name of the RPM file.