Find the answer to your Linux question:
I chose "manually choose packages" this time, so that I could get KDE to install instead of GNOME. However, I can't find ndiswrapper in the list of things to install. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    kbk

Trouble installing Debian

I chose "manually choose packages" this time, so that I could get KDE to install instead of GNOME. However, I can't find ndiswrapper in the list of things to install. How do I find it/get it to come up?

You could try this. From a console type

apt-cache search ndiswrapper

this will list packages for ndiswrapper then you can choose the package you want and install. as root ( or better sudo )

apt-get install <package name>

Good luck.

kbk
    Will that find them fom a cd though? I don't have an internet connection until after I get ndiswrapper. So I need to be able to get it from the Debian cd.

Just Joined!

debian install problem

kbk ndiswrapper is on cd14. /etc/apt/sources.list should have 14 cds listed. If not then as root run apt-setup and choose cdroms then insert each cd. Now u will have the cds as sources for apt-get. Then apt-get install pkg and u will be asked for cdx to install the pkg.
    On another note u may benefit from trying mepis or kanotix installs. These are easy installs and require less of u as installer. The latest kanotix includes ndiswrapper,ati and nvidia drivers and snd works from live cd. The live cd can be used to test ur hw before install so u can research info before actual install. My 1st linux was Mandrake then Mepis and Kanotix before tryng debian proper.
    Robert Story has written great install/config articles on installing debian 3.0. and on Kanotix for desktop at Distrowatch.
    Have fun.

kbk
    I have KNOPPIX, I just wanted to try Debian just for something different.

kbk
    Well I tried twice yesterday to get it working, I found the ndiswrapper packages through Kpackage but I don't know what to do now, there are a few different ones, modules, utils and source. Which do I install?

Edit: Are there any other Debian based distros (other than Ubuntu and KNOPPIX) that have ndiswrapper and are made to install rather than run off cd? Do you think Mepis would freeze up on me like KNOPPIX does?