Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Im running redhat 8 , and im trying to install this src.rpm file??/ however when i follow the instruction on that says to type rpm --rebuild <filename.src.rpm> console reports --rebuild ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

rpm --rebuild not known command???

Im running redhat 8 , and im trying to install this src.rpm file??/ however when i follow the instruction on that says to type rpm --rebuild <filename.src.rpm> console reports --rebuild not a know command. I also tried rpmbuild -rebuild <filename.src.rpm>

Linux Guru
    If you just want to install the program, don't download .src.rpm's, but .i386.rpm's instead.
    If you want the source installed, you just install the package as you would normally, with the -i option.

Just Joined!
    Im trying to install the Nvidia Kernel driver??? and the only one i am supposed to download is src.rpm

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    In that case, download the tarballs instead.

Just Joined!
    no , when i use the nvidia NvChooser.sh it displays that i should install the src.rpm. I have tried the Tarball and the installation cannot complete because it is imcompatible???? How do i install a src.rpm when the rpm --rebuild command is not known on my Red Hat 8 ?

Linux Guru
    The .src.rpm basically just unpacks the tarball if installed correctly, and in that way it's much easier to download the tarball directly. NVchooser selects the .src.rpm if it doesn't detect your system to be directly compatible with one of the precompiled binary RPMs.
    If you get the .src.rpm you will have to build the tarball anyway, so just download the tarball to get rid of the RPM problems and post the tarball troubles here instead.

Just Joined!
    i download the the tarball and tried to install from there... I receive and error on CC environment???

Linux Engineer
    Probably don't have gcc installed.

Just Joined!
    Jesus i have only been I this forum for about 20 mins and i can see that lots of people in here just guess!!!

If you bothered to read the readme on nvidia.com you'll see it tells you how to build srpm on there.

Basically you type rpmbuild --rebuild XXXXXX X= file name.
    Then it builds the file.
    Best advice i can give ^^ not guessing is read the readme
    AND DONT SKIP thought it.
    Have fun!

Linux Enthusiast
    Jesus you have been on this forum 20 minutes and are already disrespecting people that have taken valueable time out of their day to at least attempt to help other people with problems in linux.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast