Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed Linux Ubuntu 5.04 earlier today and was quite impressed with myself after having problems for the last couple of days with partitioning and whatnot. However i have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I thought the instalation went smoothly

I just installed Linux Ubuntu 5.04 earlier today and was quite impressed with myself after having problems for the last couple of days with partitioning and whatnot. However i have just struck a problem which i am hoping for a simple solution you see I have several harddrives and i removed all but my main drive for my O/S (to make sure i lost no important data) after making sure i had it running correctly i put my secondary harddrives back in and now the bootloader won't work it just loads windows straight away. I thought there should be a repair option so i tried the Linux disc again to see if i could repair it but it seems to want a new installation. However when i disconnect the drives the bootloader works. Please tell me there is a simple solution without having to re install Linux

Is Windows on the same disk as Ubuntu?

If not, you should put the disk Ubuntu is on before the disk windows in on in the BIOS boot list.

If they are on the same disk, you'll have to install a bootloader, such as grub, though Ubuntu should have done this for you. You can either try and re-install or you could try some of the things said in Nerderello's GrUB tutorial: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/sho...highlight=grub
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    Both Operating Systems are on the same drive.
    I have a bootloader installed and it works fine when thats the only drive hooked up but when i add the extra drives it loads straight to windows without the bootloader

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Check all master/slave jumpers on your drives, as well as the drive boot order in your BIOS setup... (Make sure the drive in which you placed the [bootloader in the MBR] is the first boot drive.)