Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm soon going to be reconditioning/salvaging 16 old PII 400Mhz pcs to pass on to a charity. A wonderful opportunity to pre-load them with a proper OS. :P Since they're ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Copying installation to other machines

I'm soon going to be reconditioning/salvaging 16 old PII 400Mhz pcs to pass on to a charity. A wonderful opportunity to pre-load them with a proper OS. :P

Since they're all identical it makes sense to use a distro that can produce cloned install cds.

So I need a distro that will work well on PII400, probably 128Mb or less memory and can be 'copied'. Need to provide up to date openoffice.org, web and email software as a minimum, together with networking capabilities.

My own preference would be Mdk 8.2 as I'm sure there's summat on there that allows 'kickstarting?' Or was that RH?

Any advice gratefully received.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Just Joined!
    MDK offers an option to write install options to a floppy at the end of the install, which should automate the rest of the machines installs. 8.2 didn't have OpenOffice (Star 5.2), so you'll need 9 or better for that.

You may want to go into each one, and add a bookmark back to here for the newbies and windrones!

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by XavierSAO
    MDK offers an option to write install options to a floppy at the end of the install, which should automate the rest of the machines installs. 8.2 didn't have OpenOffice (Star 5.2), so you'll need 9 or better for that.

You may want to go into each one, and add a bookmark back to here for the newbies and windrones!
    Hehe, good idea.

OpenOffice 1.1 works a treat on mdk 8.2. And if they're networked I can perhaps set one machine up to serve it to the rest.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User

Re: Copying installation to other machines

Quote Originally Posted by Chris H
    A wonderful opportunity to pre-load them with a proper OS. :P
    That's one way to speread the word of Linux!
    \"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.\"
    Albert Einstein

That's a great idea. Killing two birds with one stone: Providing computers to charity and weening a few more people away from the Beast.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy