Find the answer to your Linux question:
In another thread I saw that there is a way to triboot a computer using the knopixx live cd and to repartition NTFS, but what if I dont need to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Triboot With 2 HD's

In another thread I saw that there is a way to triboot a computer using the knopixx live cd and to repartition NTFS, but what if I dont need to resize my winxp hd, it is my prim distro on hda1 and its an 80gig split into two parts, 40 NTFS Win and a Fat32 Storage drive, the I have a 160gig secondary hd that I want to split up and install kubuntu and mandrake and redhat on, and use as vfat storage, would I just install my 3 diff distros just like I would normally on the second hd just using free space for each distro and letting the last one I install write the grub file or is there a diff method on installing a triboot, wich will really end up quad booting on a second hd, would I still need to use a live cd with qparted on it like systemrescuecd or can i just proceed as I said above?

Thanks for all the help!

You can proceed as you said, but if I were you, I'd just feel that bit more comfortable knowing that the distros would go into pre-partitioned spaces. Also, unless you have >> 1GB RAM, you should try create a small swap space which is as big as amount of RAM you have.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    You can proceed as you said, but if I were you, I'd just feel that bit more comfortable knowing that the distros would go into pre-partitioned spaces. Also, unless you have >> 1GB RAM, you should try create a small swap space which is as big as amount of RAM you have.
    So what it should look like when I am all done would be as follows?

HDA1 c:drive WinXP 40 gig
    HDA2 NTFS storage 40 gig

HDB1 VFAT 50 gig
    HDB2 VFAT 50 gig
    HDB3 EXT3 or 1st linux distro (Kubuntu) 20 gig
    HDB4 EXT3 or 2nd linux distro (Mandrake) 20 gig
    HDB5 EXT3 or 3rd linux distro (Redhat) 20 gig

My comp is pretty fast so I am not worried about ram, I have 512 mb ddr 400, and space to create swap is not a big issue, I was wanting to give them all 1 gig of swap, Its an AMD Athlon 2600 XP+ 2.3 Ghz with 2 HD's one 80 gig maxtor for windows and gaming, the other 160 gig seagate for all music and media files and to play with my new favorite past time, trying out diff linux distros! so here we go,
    Should I partition like such and just give each one there own swap and let the install alocate the space automaticly and let the last distro I install write the GRUB boot file, since I have a lot of space I am not to worried about it.
    So the big question is, if I set it up like this can I just install my 3rd distro first on its own partition, dont write a boot loader, the same for the second and then when I put kubuntu on let it write the Grub file wich should see all my distros and I can control it all through kubuntu. I am just trying a couple different linux distros so that I can pick which one I want to continue with, I purchased Redhat 7.3 along time ago and now I just want to use it to see since I did by it, and I have a copy of Mandrake 10.1 that I really liked but I dont really like the .rpm system, I love apt-get seems like debian based stuff is easier to deal with, anyway thats for all your help.

Your partitioning scheme looks fine, but a word of warning. Windows XP, doesn't like its FAT partitions being larger than 32GB, if you happen to use more than 32GB space on the FAT partition in XP, it seems to lose the distinction between files and folders thus resulting in a loss of data. This problem doesn't happen in Linux though.

Also, there should be only 1 swap partition TOTAL, all distros should see this and automaticially use it as swap space.

You may experience some problems with RH7.3 as it is considered "old" and cannot detect some of the "newer" hardware out of the box e.g. sata drives.

For grub, make sure you install it to the MBR of hda so you can easily choose which OS to boot (including windows).

I am using the rpm package management system and so far, I have had no problems with it. The only thing debian does out of the box is fetch dependancies, but "newer" package management software from various distros will do this for you e.g. urpmi from Mandrake, yum from Fedora, Yast and smart from SUSE.

Thumbs up Thanks

Well, this is what I did and thus I decided to do things a tad differently,

I installed WinXp onto hda1 40gig
    Formatted hda2 40gig NTFS since linux can read just fine from the file system and all I will keep on it is MP3's anyway,

I formatted 3 fat32 partitions at 32 gig a piece through WinXp so that it may be seen by both systems since i will use them to swap files between the systems and media
    Next I through in mandrake 10.1 gave it a total of 15gig of space a a 1 gig swap
    then 15gig for ubuntu useing the already made mandrake swap
    then I went to also put on kubuntu scrapping the RedHat 7.3 idea since it is really outdated even though it did find all my hardware, I dont have an internet connection hardwired I only have a wifi card and I rent bandwidth from my nextdoor neighbor for internet and I am still new and have not got my drivers figured out or how to compile them correctly with ndiswrapper so no updates would be available to me. And I have used kubuntu on my laptop along side XP and love it.
    Anyway as I go to install kubuntu, I got an error cause I cant add anymore primary partitions to the drive, so being stubborn and impatient I got rid of mandrake 10.1 since it is now out of date as well and its the download version anyway and just installed ubuntu and kubuntu, with grub boot loader started the rig up edited my grub menu a bit changed the defaults and time out and man does it work great.

Just a note I do love mandrake it was my first install, but now that its mandriva and the download version seems hard to get proprietary stuff to config, I just went with the ease of a debian based system, however if I had the money and patience I would buy mandriva since it is below $100, it is a very good system, but one question, what does the paid for versions come with aside from support from mandriva that the downloads don't?

I am happy now I have my Linux for everthing else in the world and WinXP for gaming and reasearch on how to get my motorla 802.11g wifi card working in linux so I can do away with winxp forever, since cedega need a connection to download from point to play. Any suggestions on how to get this info so a n00b can understand it would be apprectiated.

Thanks

I think the paid for version of Mandriva just comes with some propiteary software and things like that, maybe some drivers which aren't open source. But most of those things, you can just download onto your system and still not pay for the official Mandriva versions.

For wifi card, check out this post

If you need ndiswrapper, check out this tutorial. Use the Win XP drivers which came with your card.

Thanks, the posts and tutorial so far is a wonderful help, I might just get my wifi working after all, then my linux will take over my rig.... mwah mwah mwah haha!!!
    Hey thanks for all the info and stuff this is why I am making the switch, the linux community is much more supportive in helping even the newest of n00bs out, helps me think there is hope for humanity! Thanks again,
    Later