Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by Giro

This is the FSH standard for linux http://www.pathname.com/fhs/ i beleve all big distros use it althogh distros do place some applications if differnt locations it isnt a problem, Also curiouse on your comments if you havent ever used a differnt distro to RH.
    Maby that is what i meant that stuff(aps and other ect...) inside the file tree is not in the place that i expect it to be or it is spelled a little differantly :banghead: the fact that rpms work flawsly in suse should of told me that the tree is the same ! ok i misspoke Thnx for putting this strait, Ol Man
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Quote Originally Posted by johngrinham
    It's good to hear I'm not the only one with problems, as a matter of interest, which distro do you use ...
    I started using RH9, but now I'm using Fedora Core 1.

I've seen an article that says ... redhat will go the way of windows, eg users will be tied to RH through the form of updates
    That's perhaps only when you're using the professional version. For the home-users, Redhat has gone: Fedora Core 1 should be considered Redhat 10. Open source, community driven.

Some small problems I had with RH9 (no floppy drive recognised, no sound with Tux Racer, etc.) were solved with FC1 for me. Other things are smoother

As far as Gentoo and/or Debian, sorry, no experience whatsoever

Linux Engineer
    gentoo software installation is about as easy as debian.. one warning, though: gentoo can be a crash course (you sink or swim) in linux systems administration.. i can't count the number of kluges in my config files that work, but barely.. the install can be frustrating if you don't follow the instructions explicitly... but in the end it is worth it because everything is compiled to your optimization settings...
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar
    As a big debian fan, i can assure you that installing software is the easiest thing in the world on debian.

I would suggest giving debian a go before quitting linux totally, esp if program installation was the only thing really holding you back.

Jason
    Thanks Jason, Installation was the only problem
    I have a version of knoppix which is based on debian ( 1 CD)
    Thats as good as I can do till I find a source for the seven CD set of debian.
    It actually looks for a "SMP" which I don't have, but it works so I'll try it for a while. Ironically, knoppix was my start point, then I (supposedly) upgraded to a full install of redhat. I figured that because knoppix was a bootable version it must fall short in some department.
    ps do you know a good webaddress for xxx.deb surces

Just Joined!
    [quote="loft306"]

So like me you have discovered that linux is not quite ready for primetime(the general public) yet, but it is close. as someone here has already siad "this is the year that linux grows up (or blows up)"
    What I used of rh9 that came on the install worked probably better than windows, but I have a hobby for which I want to set up my computer as a recording studio, and I know it can be done, if dreamworks can produce entire movies with it, why can't I install just three or four programs under RH9.
    Perhaps another distro.

Just Joined!

debian

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar
    Code:
    user@box# su
    Password: 
    root@box# apt-get install xmms
    Jason
    Jason, I have ordered a 7 cd set of debian, but I'm not out of the woods yet, your little piece of code is not going to work for me, my linux box is not connected to the internet. This forum, and the web are accessed via a windows xp box, I have to transfer files to linux via a usb memory stick.
    So chasing dependencies is a major problem. :banghead: , especially since I haven't got the memory stick to work with knoppix(debian) yet. It only partly worked with RH9.

I know, this is a very powerfull os.............being mostly free,except for our time...and more time......ect.........ect.....ect.

but sometimes time is more expensive than software.......... :rock:
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org