Find the answer to your Linux question:
Since my computing skills were developed on a need-to-know basis (i.e., I only learned because I needed to know...), I really have no idea what I'm doing, nor do I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need easy installation

Since my computing skills were developed on a need-to-know basis (i.e., I only learned because I needed to know...), I really have no idea what I'm doing, nor do I particularly care to learn. Anyway, I'm trying to salvage an old HP with a 7.4 GB hard-drive, 128 (maybe) RAM, and an Intel Pentium II (which is an i686?) for my parents. Basically, I just want a graphically-based distro like Mandriva (prefferably with KDE), as well as a very simple graphical installation that pretty much does everything for me. I have Mandriva 2006 already on it, but that is way too much OS for this computer. What I'm looking for is a distro that will just erase the entire disk and create the necessary partitions (boot, swap, etc.) just by clicking OK (again, like Mandriva). Like I said, this isn't even my computer, so I don't want to spend all my time and religion trying to figure out Linux for a 10 year old computer. Any suggestions?

You should probably try an early windows distribution like 95 or 98 if you don't want to spend any time trying to figure our linux, especially for an older computer that is not setup for the major distro's like suse, mandriva, fedora, etc....

but the best distro imho for old computers is either damn small linux or gentoo, for what it is worth.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

you could try mepis linux, a few quick questions & off it goes ,one reboot & you're up & running

andy
    SLOMO: acer extensa 5235 2.2ghz,2gb ram 160gb hdd wireless
    SPEEDY: homebrew desktop,Amd x2 dualcore,2gb ram,500gb +1tb( 2x500gb) hdd suse 11.3,32mb fibreline
    registered linux user #401845

Just Joined!
    Hmmm. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and figure out what the hell I'm doing. I don't want to go back to Windows for several reasons, one being that it just plain sucks. Windows 2000 slowed this machine down way more than Mandriva 2006 ever did. Plus, I've heard there are really no viruses for Linux, something that, given my mom's lack of computer sense, is very appealing.

The flip-side of this whole thing is, what the hell do I do when it asks me to parition my drives? I don't want to partition, I want to erase and start over from scratch... any tips?

using the partition program the distribution you choose will erase the whole harddrive and then allow you to start from scratch. Practically you only need three partitions: (1) boot for boot processes and grub or lilo only needs to to be 256Mb or so. (2) Swap (usually around 512Mb or so) (3) you're main partition the equivalent of c: drive in windows. That's it. You will basically only "use" the third partition for everything daily use would call for ie. saving programs, installing programs, music, movies etc.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Format the hard drive.

Run the Damn Small Linux LiveCD.

There should be an install option on the desktop.

Creating the swap partition doesn't take long and you don't really NEED seperate partitions for root and personal files, it's just recommended.

[I am a Linux newbie, so check around more for advice, I just think this is all correct.]

Oh also...The swap partition should be 256mb in your case, double the amount of your RAM. All the rest can split into the root/home partitions if you want.