Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I recently installed Redhat 8.0 with my WinXP, using GRUB as my boot loader. Anyways, a friend helped me with the install, and when it was done, the resolution ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Just installed Redhat 8.0, and getting fatal display problem

Hi,

I recently installed Redhat 8.0 with my WinXP, using GRUB as my boot loader. Anyways, a friend helped me with the install, and when it was done, the resolution was to low, I am used to using 1600x1200, but redhat was at 800x600, so I tried changing the resolution, and it was never accepted, thus I noticed my video card was not correct, so I changed it, and thats when everything went wrong. Every time linux loads, I just see a whole bunch of green lines. So I logged in as root in text mode, tried: redhat-config-xfree86, but that did nothing. Also, CTRL ALT +, and CTRL ALT - didn't do anything either. So I ran xf86config, and played around with some of the settings. I got my display back, but now the mouse jumps everywhere, and it doesn't seem to be working right. I was wondering how to fix this? Should I just try and re-install redhat again? and if so, how do i do this without deleted any of my windows files? Thanks!

Just Joined!
    Well for starters why don't you list your hardware and then maybe someone could tell you how to fix it.

Linux Engineer
    What kind of mouse do you have and open up /etc/X11/XF86Config or XF86Config-4 and paste your mouse section in here. You probably used the wrong mouse driver.

Linux Guru
    genlee seems to be drunk right now. What he meant was this:
    First, please tell us what mouse you have. Then, open /etc/X11/XF86Config or preferrably (if it exists) /etc/X11XF86Config-4. If you don't know how, use this:
    Code:
    less -S `ls /etc/X11/XF86Config* | tail -1`
    (Please note that the characters before ls and after -1 are "backticks"; they are produced by pressing the key to the left of your 1 key (the key with which you bring forth the axe in quake =) ))
    There, search for a "Section InputDevice", in which you'll find the line driver "mouse". Post the entire contents of that section here.