Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm thinking about installing Slackware 10.2 with my already installed Windows XP and PCLinuxOS, is there anything I shoudl know about triple booting? Is it hard to do or different ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Triple boot?

I'm thinking about installing Slackware 10.2 with my already installed Windows XP and PCLinuxOS, is there anything I shoudl know about triple booting? Is it hard to do or different than dual? I imagine its just partitioning another section and then installing it to there, and it should work, but I wanted to ask just to make sure.

See this tutorial that cheetahman wrote. It has lots of good info.

http://linuxforums.org/forum/t51822-...-computer.html
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!

triple boot

Quote Originally Posted by oosterhouse
    is there anything I shoudl know about triple booting?
    ive done this in the past for testing (multiple incarnations of the same linux OS ) and its been pretty painless. Just remember you dont need multiple swap partitions for multiple linux distros (unless you start booting a linux OS in VMware under linux....) and you can also reuse your home partition if you want to and are aware of what is stored in your home partition in the way of settings. Its pretty useful if you get it right thoug, i.e. changing preferences in say firefox on linux OS1 are maintained when booting Linux OS2.

But other than that (and you dont need to) its as simple as installing and configuring grub (or lilo...)

Andy H
    www.ictsc.com

i've heard that grub needs to be used for the MBR and lilo needs to be used for the boot partition if more than 1 linux distro is involved.

GNOME_n00b,
    wherever you heard that from, ignore them in the future.

Lilo or Grub can handle as many distros as you care to play with all on their own .

If you'd like a sample of a grub.conf file handling a number of operating systems have a look at the tutorial on solving boot problems with grub in the tutorial section of this site.

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

GNOME_n00b,
    wherever you heard that from, ignore them in the future.
    i heard it from fedora forums here. whereas some distros such as suse and ubuntu have no problem in adding other distros to the boot list, some don't seem to want to recognise other distros (eg fedora and mandriva). i was going to take note of what was written so that i could rectify the problems for when i install FC5 when it comes out on linux format.
    maybe you can interpret whats said better than me.

What he was saying could be correct.
    Just an unnecessary extra step.
    I am not sure but I believe that windows would be the only OS that Grub/Lilo can't boot, so a chainloader is necessary.

What I like to do when installing a new distro is to put new distros bootloader on the root partition.That makes it easy for me to just copy and paste the entire entry into my original distros menu.lst.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ