Find the answer to your Linux question:
im running a winxp system now and got all i need to install linux. iso's on cds, open partition, checked md5s and i seem to be good to go. but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

windows, i hear, isnt too friendly with other OS's

im running a winxp system now and got all i need to install linux.
    iso's on cds, open partition, checked md5s and i seem to be good to go. but the prob is that i hear windows kinda likes to "hide" other OSs. maybe just myth, but knowing MS, i wouldnt be surprised.
    So what do i need to be able to choose what OS when i want it. i believe a program called LILO takes care of this but im not sure how that will work, like do i have to callibrate my computer someway in order for LILO to come up at boot? i dont want to be locked out of my OS

Linux Engineer
    Hiya teimu, welcome to this_site_does_not_exist!!

Most linux distros will install LILO or Grub to the master boot record (mbr) of your primary drive (usually c:, aka hda). When you boot up this kicks in and presents you with a list of options, usually windows or linux. Nothing more to it really. If you should do a fresh install of windows then windows will usually overwrite the mbr and won't give you the option at boot. Then a rescue disc comes in handy.

What distro you looking at?
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Just Joined!

knoppix can fix this , well sorta

knoppix on the cd will fix this dilema because you dont need to install anything on your harddrive just have it in your cd tray and reboot your computer. your bios will have to have the CDROM before the HARDDISK on the boot sequence for the os to boot up. i know that this isnt really a fix for the grub or lilo confusion but it is a work around if you would like to test out linux without installing things

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    thank you chris, glad to be here.
    but thanks to both of you, your info was really inciteful and im sure i wont have ne problems with it. neway im installing fedora, it was that or RH, and fedora just downloaded quiker.
    im gonna try to install tonite. hopefully i'll be posting my next thread in linux!! :P

First off, welcome to the boards and Linux.

And Chris is right...if you ever re-install Windoze, it will overwrite the MBR and render you choiceless.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    woohoo, right now im using linux. i feel liberated. thanks for help me thru the way

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by teimu
    woohoo, right now im using linux. i feel liberated. thanks for help me thru the way
    Hey, welcome to penguinland!!
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Quote Originally Posted by teimu
    Help? You were an easy one to get installed.

Glad you're here and enjoying Linux and the boards...Hope you'll stick around for awhile.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy