Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to install Debian from a CD with the Network Install. The problem is that it won't detect my network card. I have a built-in Broadcom BCM5704C. The ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Debian Network Install cannot get it to recognize my NIC

I am trying to install Debian from a CD with the Network Install. The problem is that it won't detect my network card. I have a built-in Broadcom BCM5704C. The appropriate driver is in the list of drivers that it gives me "tg3: Broadcom Tigon3 Gigabit Ethernet." When I select it it tells me that the module failed to load but that it may need parameters (eg. "irq=7 io=0x220").

I'm confident it's the correct driver (from http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethe...rivers.php#tg3 it's at the bottom).

I've tried to find where I can determine what IRQ and I/O to give it so it works, but I can't.

Any help or pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.

note. I'm a Linux newb, only experience with basic shell stuff relating to file transfer and web development. I want to run Linux on my desktop, hope this doesn't stop me.

Every time I've ever tried to get anything Broadcom to work with Linux I've come away with a tremendous headache. Being new to Linux, I'm sure the important thing to you at this moment is to get this Debian Network install going. NICs are pretty cheap. If I were in your position I'd just go buy a Linksys or Netgear PCI NIC and be done with it.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Hahaha, you're genius. I have a couple NIC's laying around too. Hope this works.

(A 3c905b to be exact, so if this doesn't work then I might change my mind about Debian).

Just Joined!
    Worked without a hitch.

Now I need to figure out if just having a root partition is enough. I'm installing to the second partition of my main disk which has 4 partitions on it... I'll save that for a different topic though.

Thanks for the advice Dan.