Find the answer to your Linux question:
Linux Gurus, This is another newbie on board . I have been reading stories and thinking of moving to Linux from windows world to get some taste of it. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Which Linux distribution for AMD Athlon processor in home use

Linux Gurus,

This is another newbie on board . I have been reading stories and thinking of moving to Linux from windows world to get some taste of it. I think I have some time to learn and feel the Linux. But I have few questions regarding which distribution should I install and some network related questions.

1. I am planning to install Linux (I do not know which distribution) on AMD Athlon 1000. Will it work?
    2. Which distribution should I use?
    3. Can I access Linux box from Windows using a laptop for some file sharing?

I greatly appreicate your help on this.

Thanks in advance.

1 )should work,also depends on ram, min of 256mb for newer distros

2 )check out distrowatch.com gives loads of info

3 )yes you can, you can use samba,nfs, ssh etc.

main thing is,be patient,linux is a fairly steep learning curve . if in doubt ask. thats what this community is good for. and have a great time using linux & don't get too frustrated.
    ( hopefully i haven't put you off )

have fun
    andy
    SLOMO: acer extensa 5235 2.2ghz,2gb ram 160gb hdd wireless
    SPEEDY: homebrew desktop,Amd x2 dualcore,2gb ram,500gb +1tb( 2x500gb) hdd suse 11.3,32mb fibreline
    registered linux user #401845

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by deltaflyer
    1 )should work,also depends on ram, min of 256mb for newer distros

2 )check out distrowatch.com gives loads of info

3 )yes you can, you can use samba,nfs, ssh etc.

main thing is,be patient,linux is a fairly steep learning curve . if in doubt ask. thats what this community is good for. and have a great time using linux & don't get too frustrated.
    ( hopefully i haven't put you off )

have fun
    andy

Thanks deltaflyer.

No, you did not put me off. I expected that for a newbie. I have 256mb ram. Okay, let me check distrowatch.com and come back for any questions.

Thanks for your response.

you could also try taking the which distro is right for me test.

Also, to get a first taste of linux, you could try a livecd based distro such as Knoppix, advantage is it runs off the RAM and you don't have to install it to the hard drive.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Hey there sktechnical! Every couple of months Linux Format Magazine (i think thats the one??) puts out a special issue featuring one Linux distrobution. The last one was Mandriva; it was great because it contained all the install cd's as well as a magazine devoted to the whole process of installing, setting up, and configuring in distro. And these forums are a great way to learn alot about linux.. Good luck!!

Go to distrowatch, check out the the most popular 100 distro's (on the right hand side of the site) and research one you think you could install. Just keep reading, researching and googling.

Just Joined!
    Thank you guys. Information is very helpful.