Find the answer to your Linux question:
Have just got an old computer from a friend and was wondering what distibution would be best to run on it as it is quite old it's a Pentium 2 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

System Requirements

Have just got an old computer from a friend and was wondering what distibution would be best to run on it as it is quite old it's a Pentium 2 or 3 with 128MB Ram with about a 10Gb hard drive. I wanted to run Fedora but the magazine Coverdiscs i have here say you require at least 256MB Ram. I'm not going to be using this system for anything crucial i'm just using it to get used to Linux and work out how to use it before installing it on my main computer. I have looked around other websites and stuff but finding system requirments for Linux seems quite difficult.

I would recommend Vector. It is a good distro that is light on the system requirements.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

I agree..vector is a great choice.

oz
    forum.guy
    zenwalk: another good lighterweight distro

Just Joined!
    DSL is also very light. You can do with only 50MB for a minimun install. It runs quite nicely on my old 200MHz MMX.

All of these are great choices. I use DSL on a machine very similar to yours (P2 300 Mhz, 128 ram) and it's excellent. It also leaves quite a bit of space for files (I have it installed on a 1 Gb monster of a harddrive )