Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, not complete newbie here, but no expert. I have been running a Redhat server for a while now, but all command line, only doing ftp and Apache. i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

printer/scanner issues

Hi all, not complete newbie here, but no expert. I have been running a Redhat server for a while now, but all command line, only doing ftp and Apache.

i want to kill Windoze and end my association with the evil empire...however..

Loaded RedHat 8.0 as dual boot with my Win2k, no problems there. All is great except 2 things. I have a HP Photosmart 7150, no drivers with the distro, so I got foomatic and installed it. Bingo, there is my drivers for the 7150...on /dev/usp/lp0 however, nothing prints. When I check lpq it has errord out. Can't make it work.

I have an Epson 636U scanner. After editing the config file an rem out the scsi option and point to USB it worked great...at first, now I get an error no device found.

Thanks for any and all help.

Linux Enthusiast
    errored out? What is the exact error? Seriously we get like 2-3 questions a day that are along the lines of "I tried to get this to work and it didn't, what is wrong". Where do you get the error "no device found" did you check to see if the module was loaded? What config file did you rem (comment) out the scsi line? Can you get the scanner to work again if you shutdown and restart the usb service? Is the scanner even on the USB bus? (/proc/bus/usb/* should contain some information).
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Just Joined!

error

You are right, that was a pretty poor post on my part, my apologies. I am not at the machine right now, I'll get the exact error and post it regarding the printer.

Regarding the USB scanner, I didn't know where to look to see if the scanner is listed. The file that I edited was in /etc/sane/hp... I just had to rem the line that said SCSI and uncomment the USB line so that it would look to the USB ports.

I thought of something. I have 4 built in USB ports, I have a USB 2.0 card with 4 slots, then off of that I have a 4 port USB hub. Not sure if that matters or not.

Thanks,

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    The beauty of USB is that hubs and things don't matter. It all behaves just as if it were connected directly to the computer.
    Anyway, plug in and out your scanner, and then check the last few lines of /var/log/messages to see if any driver claimed it. That's a good start.

By the way, is your printer really a USB one (thinking of /dev/usb/lp0, as you stated in the first post)? In that case, do the same with it as with the scanner.

Just Joined!

pritner

Thanks, after unpluggin and replugging in the usb cable, sure enough there was a line in /var/log/messages that showed the printer, so i iknow that it is being seen.

here is what i get from lpc
    ==============
    lpc>status
    Printer Printing Spooling Jobs Server Subserver Redirect Status/(Debug)
    HP7150@localhost enabled enabled 0 none none
    lpc>up
    Printer: HP7150@localhost
    HP7150@localhost.localdomain: enabled and started
    lpc>status
    Printer Printing Spooling Jobs Server Subserver Redirect Status/(Debug)
    HP7150@localhost enabled enabled 0 none none
    lpc>active
    HP7150@localhost: not implemented yet
    lpc>

not sure why it says not implemented yet, or how to do that...

this is what i get when i send a test job to printer
    --------------------
    [root@NS3 log]# lpq
    Queue: 1 printable job
    Server: pid 1965 active
    Unspooler: pid 2012 active
    Status: attempt 3, sleeping 20 before retry at 19:56:50.961
    Rank Owner/ID Class Job Files Size Time
    active(attempt-3) root@localhost+964 A 964 /usr/share/printconf 18052 19:56:38
    error shawn@localhost+507 A 507 ERROR: job removal requested

Linux Guru
    Try "echo -en Hello\\f >/dev/usb/lp0" and see what happens.

Just Joined!

printing

I did as you suggested, and sure enough, printer spits out a nice little Hello to me! So, the printer is there and works...what gives with the RedHap print tool?