Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to set up an old pc I have as a Linux only machine. It's an Athlon XP1600, but it has a broken hard drive. What I'd like to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

dual boot removal

I'm trying to set up an old pc I have as a Linux only machine. It's an Athlon XP1600, but it has a broken hard drive. What I'd like to do is remove the second drive (40G) from this (the one I'm typing this post on) pc and stick it in the old Linux only machine.

What do I need to do to let Grub know that there's no Linux in this pc any more once I remove the drive?

I'm standing here with my screwdriver poised to remove the drive, and awaiting any replies

Thanks as ever

Paul
    Korean food is great - it's the dog's bollocks!
    Linux user number 406572.

The best way is to remove grub from the bootsector, you can do this with you windows disk. Depending on which version of windows you've got, it'll be 'fdisk /MBR' (for older windows) or 'fixmbr' (for windows xp).

If you're removing the drive with the linux /boot partition on it (i.e. the one with the grub.conf this version of grub uses) then it is the only real way to do what you're asking.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Hi all, thanks for the replies. I'm fed up of rebooting back and forward from windows to Mandriva and vice-versa on this machine, so I thought I'd get my old pc down from the loft and put Mandriva on that and place them side by side. This pc has xp home on the c drive and Mandriva on the other. I wrote the boot instructions to the MBR when I installed Linux on this pc, so I know that if I simply removed the second drive, I wouldn't be able to boot anything. Trouble is: I don't have an XP cd. Is there any other way I could work round it? Can I get to the windows dos prompt another way?

cheers

Paul

You could try downloading a boot disk from here, it might contain what you need.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Ahhh - bummer. I don't have a floppy drive....

try this, i use it all the time http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

andy
    SLOMO: acer extensa 5235 2.2ghz,2gb ram 160gb hdd wireless
    SPEEDY: homebrew desktop,Amd x2 dualcore,2gb ram,500gb +1tb( 2x500gb) hdd suse 11.3,32mb fibreline
    registered linux user #401845

I did it the long way....

I inserted the Mandriva dvd, chose rescue and tried to restore the windows boot loader. That didn't work so I took the drive out, installed in it the other machine, re-installed a minimum version of Mandriva on my now single drive (just to get the bootloader), logged back into windows and back on here.

The other machine, with the newly-donated drive is currently having Mandriva installed on it, so I've got time to post on here. I realise I performed poorly today, but it's all a learning curve, eh?

Anyway - thanks, as ever, for helping me out.

Pauly