Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am a happy camper running a dual-boot Windoze and Ubuntu 5.10 setup on two hard disks. - WinXP runs on the boot disk (only for a couple of applications ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Moving a working Linux setup

I am a happy camper running a dual-boot Windoze and Ubuntu 5.10 setup on two hard disks. - WinXP runs on the boot disk (only for a couple of applications that I cannot yet do without) and Linux runs on a second hard disk with Grub 1.5 boot manager running.

Both disks are 40GB, but the one with Linux installed, I believe may be a bit iffy, as it is noisy (although no disk access probs yet).

What I want to do is re-partition the boot drive to have, say a 35GB Linux partition on it with a small 5GB WindowsXP partition until such time as I can remove this and have Ubuntu run exclusively.

What my question is - how or indeed can I, ghost my existing Linux system with all settings, kernel version and applications to the new setup on the other disk before removing the iffy drive?

Setting up my current Linux setup again on a clean install would be a bit of a hassle (But because Linux works so well - I will do this if I have to)

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

I always recommend backing up the /home directory and then doing a fresh install because I like having a really clean setup. However, the ghosting/restoring of partitions works just fine under Linux, so if only the hard drive has changed, I'm guessing you'd have a pretty good chance of success with this effort. If you do have an image of your /home directory, it would be easy to restore it if you wind up having to do a fresh install.

HTH...

Quote Originally Posted by ozar
    HTH...
    I always have to look up those acronyms.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by oosterhouse
    I always have to look up those acronyms.
    Don't worry, we all had to look them up, or ask what they meant at one time, or another. I still run across some now and then that I have to look up, too.