Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, I have a laptop that I'm planning on installing some variant of Linux on. However, I have two slight problems. The first problem is that my laptop hard ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

a (not so) easy format and install

Hi guys,

I have a laptop that I'm planning on installing some variant of Linux on. However, I have two slight problems.

The first problem is that my laptop hard drive is already completely formatted. I just have one big partition that is the C:\, and everything is stored on there. Backing up data and blanking the hard drive is really not an option, since I'm at school, and I kind of need my homework. However, I haven't used up all of the space on the disk - it's just all bundled into the main, primary format. Is there a way I can still make this work?

The second problem is that I don't have a CD burner! I know, I know. I just never burn CDs so I didnít think I needed it. A bunch of my friends have one and I'm sure they'd let me use it, but I was wondering if it was possible instead to do a network install, either by booting with the good old fashion floppy disk or maybe even with a flash drive.

Any help would really be appreciative. I just finished watching the movie Antitrust, and am totally freaked out

Mets

oz
    forum.guy
    First off... welcome to the forums!

Sure, you can do an FTP install with many different distros, and you can get it going with a floppy boot disk since you have no cdrom.

Here's the installation manual with the instructions you'd need if you wish to install my favorite distro, Arch Linux:

http://www.archlinux.org/docs/en/gui...e.html#install

Other distros have similar options, so good luck and have fun with it!

Just Joined!
    hey ozar,

Thanks for the welcome! Thanks for recomending Arch - I'm in the process of checking that out right now.

How about the formatting though - will it still work?

Mets

Just Joined!
    maybe you can get a FTP server on one of your friends computer, upload everything there and then wipe and install as usual.