Find the answer to your Linux question:
Recently, I was trying to install a copy of the Mandrake 9.2 in my Optiplex computer, and during the installation I forgot to install the second hard drive in which ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake Linux 9.2 and LG CD roms

Recently, I was trying to install a copy of the Mandrake 9.2 in my Optiplex computer, and during the installation I forgot to install the second hard drive in which it was supposed to be installed, then when I reboot the computer I found that my CD-rom was dead!!!

With a friend of mine who is a real computer wizard he got some information about a command that the kernel sent to the CD-rom: FLUSH_CACHE that sends a lot of info to the drive firmware making it totally inoperable. This is just something that the Mandrake team must have to fix in the future, and it seems to be happening only with the LG CD-roms. My CD-rom was only one year old so it died with honor doing a good service to the community.

there is also an aritcle here (too late for me) : http://www.linux.org/news/2003/10/27/0001.html

Linux Guru
    Indeed. LG's CDROMs aren't compliant with the ATAPI protocol specs, and apparently they use the FLUSH_CACHE command to upload firmware. However, LG has apparently invented a restoration procedure, so you should be able to restore your drive to working order again. They also have firmware upgrades that prevents this from happening again.
    Source and links to restoration procedure: http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/lgerrata.php3

Just Joined!

Severe damage!!!

Unfortunately my cd-rom suffered a severe damage that it cannot receive any power from the power supply it is really dead. So any attempt to restore it seems to be impossible. But, well here in my country a cd-rom is about USD 22.00 so nothing important is lost. But what a surprise I got with this one!!!

LG says that the FLUSH_CACHE command is supported by their CD RWs but what it is left in my computer is a DVD CD-RW and I do not want to try any experiment with it yet. I am going to get a new CD ROM and to continue my installation later.

thanks for all

Linux Engineer
    u coudl always get drives from a different manufacturer.

i use btc drives in everything (ive used cdrom, cdrw, dvdrom) and they all work fine with everything.