Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just bought LXF 47 with Mandrake 9.2. Installed pretty easy, ran totem with a DVD and it WORKED!!! It actually told me that it had crashed, but still showed the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake 9.2

Just bought LXF 47 with Mandrake 9.2.
    Installed pretty easy, ran totem with a DVD and it WORKED!!!
    It actually told me that it had crashed, but still showed the movie. OK I can live wth that.
    BUT, no sound. So I found the KDE mixer and played for a while till all the things I expected were actually working.
    Then I tried a different DVD, this one crashed as well, but didn't play and gave some message about something missing, and brought up a url to report it. So I followed the url to bugzilla, where I discovered that totem wasn't on the list of programs supported. But I kinda gathered that it probably should have been running under gnome and not KDE. So I reinstalled, partly because I couldn't find the desktop switcher, and partly because I wanted it on a different drive, but this time with gnome as the desktop.
    Now, the DVD still crashes, but plays anyway, but the sound won't work, the only mixer I can find doesn't even register SB live as a sound device. I tried to reconfigure the sound card, but it reports the correct card and drivers.
    Is this this a gnome problem ?? The latest and greatest gnome won't talk to my SB live while KDE does!! Or am I missing something obvious. Nah, just discovered how to switch back to KDE, now I can't get sound from it either, even tho it shows the sb live as a sound device in the mixer. My mic works!!! But nothing from dvd, mpg, or cd.

Also tried to install my memory stick and it gave me messages about blocks overlapping???
    I wasn't game to follow it through because it sounded like it was going to try to format something, and I don't know what.
    All in all, this is the closest I've come to having a linux install that does what I want with my equipment.

Linux Engineer
    Sorry to hear of the probs with MDK.

*cough* Suse 9.0 Pro *cough*

Merry Christmas!!!!!
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris H
    Sorry to hear of the probs with MDK.

*cough* Suse 9.0 Pro *cough*

Merry Christmas!!!!!
    I can't wait for a magazine with suse on it

Just Joined!
    Re-installed mdk 9.2 for 3rd time, with KDE as desktop again, now sound is back.!!

Don't understand what's happening with the memory stick tho, I put it in, then boot, it says it found new hardware and do I want to run some configuration tool, then it says that blocks are overlapping. The blocks it refers to seem to be on the hard drive, it mentions a 5gig block, and my memory stick is only 128M. I'm not going to complete this sequence without further advice.

You can install Suse from FTP if you download the right iso.

flw
    Linux Engineer
    I've never ftp the install from Suse and just bought the CD's.

I'm concerned about a all day download to have it crash and start all over again. So I have two quesitons:

1. Can you download part or all of the image file(s) so you have a offline copy for any needed reinstalls?

2. They don't seem to advertise the url for the free version. Anyone have it?
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Giro
    You can install Suse from FTP if you download the right iso.
    With a 56K modem running at roughly 40K on a network of three computers, how many months would it take to download one iso ???