Find the answer to your Linux question:
I think I remember that Linux had a problem installing with AMD. Is that still true? I have a computer AMD Duron 800mhz 384 ram and 80gig maxtor drive. For ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux and AMD?

I think I remember that Linux had a problem installing with AMD. Is that still true?

I have a computer AMD Duron 800mhz 384 ram and 80gig maxtor drive. For some reason after many attempts at three different distros, it fails. I have installed Slackware, Unbuntu and Arch and all fail. I have installed many flavours of linux over the last couple of years, but all have been Intel.

The failures are pretty various with the different distros.

Any ideas or should I just redo the cds and give another go at slack or something?

I have Ubuntu, SuSE, Mandriva, and Debian all running on an AMD Athalon and they all went fine. Try burning the CD's at like 4x speed, it is less likely there are errors. Also check the hash of the download.
    Registered GNU/Linux User #399198
    'Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.' -Steven Wright

Wink

I have been using AMDs for years with Linux, no problems loading, just problems with bad downloads. As said, also try burning at 4X.
    Research, research, research before you walk the plank.
    Registered Linux User #398829

Some motherboards are supposedly better supported than others. The Via boards have full support in the kernel, and are often recommended for Athlon systems.
    That said, I've put Linux on two or three AMD systems using N-force boards with no problems.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Just Joined!
    well....I'll give it another go this evening. I re-downloaded Slack10.2 so I will burn it at 4x and then try the install again.

The MB is MSI but that should be OK.

Last time I tried slack on it (10.2) it errored out during the install of the packages with like vim, samba, and the base kernel! So yeah...that wasn't good. I have another hard drive so I might just give it another go with the new disks and if that crashes out I will swap out the hd's and see if that works.

Just kind of strange, I've never had a problem installing Linux before. Freaked me out that 3 different distros were all failing to install.

THanks for the info!