Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, im looking to get tout of windows, and i was wondering if you could tell me the differences between the Linux Platform and Macintosh. Give pros and cons, any ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux vs. Mac

Hi, im looking to get tout of windows, and i was wondering if you could tell me the differences between the Linux Platform and Macintosh. Give pros and cons, any helpful advice. Thanks!

Just Joined!
    I think your basic difference is ... cost. The new Mac OS X 10.3 is based on unix; therefore, you are going to have about the same range of software for each OS. Now, for the discussion of cost. The upgrade to 10.3 (Panther) costs around $129 (USD). Linux is and always will be free. (Knocks on wood.) Of course... you are going to have a great garuntee on hardware with mac. Architecture is a different topic all together and I don't think I could explain it all... (because I don't know it all.)

<nutshell>
    Cost.
    </nutshell>

Hope that was of some help.

Linux Engineer
    like ### said, cost is a big difference, a mac will cost a lot more than a pc, any prices i give u will be irrelevant coz they vary a lot in diff countries so look it up for yourself. a mac will run out of the box perfectly fine, however it is not as good as linux in reliability, yes its many times better than xp, but does still crash (although ive never killed an OSX machine) so ur probably looking at 2 or 3 times a year.

linux is more reliable (i have been usign it for around 2 1/2 years and never had any of the 5 comps i use regualry crash. (except devel kernels but those arent suposed to be stable)

mac hardware on paper is usually worse than pc, however they seem to run about the same speed so thts not really important. although the mac cd burners/software can supposedly go straight thru copy protection without flinching, Most pc burners ive tried under linux can also, but in windoze they ALL choked

linux software is a lot easier to come by, due to the open source nature of it, but is generalyl only supported by palces liek this, which is not necessarily a bad thing, it just seems to scare some ppl. /me looks at my scary bad spelling/typing

personally i would go for linux, but mostly because its easy to mess with, and the mac philosphy of keep everything hidden from the user kinda annoys me.

Linux User
    The cost of Macs is a bit much, but when it comes time to buy a laptop they're the only computers I'm going to look at. I think a 14 inch powerbook running Gentoo will suit me just nicely. I would only ever use a Mac desktop for extensive video editing and multimedia, but other than that I don't believe it's worth the 3 grand.

Linux Newbie
    Though i do have to stick up for XP in this regard, winXP is just rediculously expensive.

Hence i cant afford it.

However its served me well, it was horribly stable, and it supports such a huge variety of programs (mainly D.video editing and many more games) straight off the bat.

But the biggest problem with XP is of course all the spyware, spamware, and virus's. If you keep the registry cleaned and the spyware out (like i did, and not required at all with linux) you end up with a very stable operating system. That can be funly overclocked. I havnt worked out OC'ing with linux... it didnt seem to work at all last i checked.

I also had a faulty Mobo back then. =D windows uses the more generic parts and drivers of the boards so even when parts are broken on it (like my SiS chip was fractured or whatnot in the controller of secondary and floppy disk controllers aswell as RAm controller on the noth bridge... and many more) Linux didnt support that at all.

Ive used mac's and i allways feel restricted. I also have a lot of bad luck with them and cause them to crash. They cant be easily upgraded, and they arent any good for gaming. In fact i wouldnt buy them unless i was seriously looking at the film editing industry, where the CPU is far more efficient in raw processing of data.

I just thought id throw in that opinion cause im more an average kind of person, telling you how things are when compared in my opinion for the things i use em for, in case you were looking at the same kind of things.

Personally: WinXP easy to use plenty of programs, a child can use it / MacOS X So easy a baby can use it, has enough programs to satisfy most poepel / Linux A little more difficult to use, but quite rewarding in speed of its use and stability, while its programs are still a little restrictive, but its free. and its programs are all free. and that makes up for a lot of time (working on a wage of a uni student...$9.25 p/h at k-mart)
    /skythra

Linux Engineer
    I fell in love with the project they are doing at Viginia Tech. They've built a supercomputer using 1,100 G5s and clustering them.

After seeing that, I decided to go out and check out the specs.. wow. Bottom line is though, it's very expensive. I'm confident that you'll get your money's worth and since OSX is based on BSD, I've no complaints about it either. Still, unless I'm a graphic designer or doing research, I don't see the need for such a powerful computer at home. Linuxis just fine the way it is now but it wouldn't be bad having that G5 around. =)
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Guru
    While there are people who tell me how stable XP is, I still don't agree - I've managed to crash it several times while doing nothing special, while a stable Linux kernel has only ever crashed for me once, and that was with weird hardware on a laptop. Also, everyone that I know tell me the same thing, that it's still Windoze in the regard that they have to reinstall it every half a year or so since it's getting all freaky on them.
    Also, being good with computers, I just can't stand systems like Windoze that don't let me modify them. And then, of course, there are things such as price, freedom, politics, the issues Skythra mentioned with spyware, spamware and virii, etc. And, Linux is built on a much better architecture.
    In my mind (that is for me, I can understand that less computer literate people and/or people with other needs (like gaming) would disagree), Windows doesn't have a single advantage. If it has, I have utterly failed to locate it.
    The only good thing with Windows is still its user-friendliness, as even RedHat's CEO has acknowledged. On the other hand, I don't care a second about that, so that doesn't really matter to me.

Admittedly, I haven't tried Mac OS X (or Mac hardware at all for that matter), but I've read a lot about it. While I still don't like the idea of a proprietary OS, even though the core of it is free, it still seems really nifty. I'd really like to try it out, at least. From what I've read about Mac hardware, I'm really impressed. The PowerMacs are usually SMP systems with built-in Gigabit ethernet, Firewire 800, USB2 and you mention it. Of course, then again, I haven't actually tried them, but I'd really love if someone would give me a Powermac. =)
    Also, it cannot be neglected how prohibitively priced the Powermacs are.

Linux Engineer
    i heard a couple days ago that macs do not have a math coprocessor... aM i the only1 who can see the problem if thats true?

i agree with dolda on the winxp thing... everyone tells me how it works great and never crashes.... i have yet to keep a xp box alive for more than 12 hours, and trying to keep an isntallation bug free for more than a year is practically impossible. as for NTFS... it currupted itself in less than 3 hours... 4 times... before i gave up and ptu fat32 on the system partition, i thought i woudl give xp a chance to run in its "best" filesystem but it didnt want to, so it has only itself to blame for slowness. (this was my parents comp... which now runs linux aswell after they saw mine run for a week wihthout shutting down when i visited them, and theier crashed at least once every day.)

Linux Guru
    I'd be surprised if Macs did have a math coprocessor; PCs don't either. It's built in to the main CPU.

And oh yes, uptime on workstations is something that I have never heard of in the Windows worls. Back when I used Windoze, if I would leave it on during the night (or the day, for that part... =) ) I'd find it with a BSOD when I woke up again.
    I now have 12 days of uptime on my workstation (since the last kernel upgrade), and it doesn't really seem to show any immediate signs of crashing anytime soon. And it's not really like I'm very careful with it...