Find the answer to your Linux question:
Alright guys, help me out. this is the second time this has happened with redhat: i downloaded the ISOs and burned them, but it won't boot from disc one. i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fedora Core 1.0 ...

Alright guys, help me out.

this is the second time this has happened with redhat: i downloaded the ISOs and burned them, but it won't boot from disc one. i always get a kernel error that says it can't mount the root on fs ##:##. SO, after trying linux root=/dev/hdc, still nothing, so i just went to redhat.com and downloaded the boot.iso and burned that as a cd. so that worked, and i booted, but when it asked me what i would be installing from, and i said "CD/DVD" and popped in CD one, it said it couldn't find a CD that matched my boot media. so what's the deal? and just to mention it, these are the things i DID do:

1. burned the ISO as an image
    2. burned my CD at 4x

i think it has something to do with the fact that i booted from a different cd that i wanted to install from, but how do i correct that? help me out, guys!

i'm currently running redhat 7.3, but i think it's about that time for an upgrade.

Just Joined!
    I don't know if this was only my system, but I noticed that when I made the CD Burn-Proof in my respected burner package, I had problems installing from the CD. Also the type of drive you are using might have some affect. Like, is it a cd burner or an older cdrom. Also the type of CD might affect output. Have you tried booting from a floppy with disc one in the drive?

Linux Engineer
    Have you verified you cd:s in the installation program?? Runned a cd-check?? If something have gone wrong when you downloaded it the cd-check will tell you.
    Regards

Andutt

Just Joined!

oh well...

you know what, screw fedora. i'm switching to mandrake.

Linux Engineer
    Hmm.. isn't Fedora good? I heard good things about it. It's the other distro that I'd like to try out besides gentoo.
    The best things in life are free.

Just Joined!
    oh, i don't have any doubt that Fedora is good, but the fact that Redhat won't actually be supplying updates is both good and bad. on the one hand, everybody from the Linux community will be making the improvements, but the fact that Redhat is ducking out of the updates might cause some of their loyal followers to switch distrobutions. oh well.