Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Is it possible to install RedHat Linux 7.2 OS on SATA harddisk? If yes, where would I find the requisite drivers and what is the special procedure to do ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Is it possible to install RedHat 7.2 on a SATA harddisk?

Hi

Is it possible to install RedHat Linux 7.2 OS on SATA harddisk? If yes, where would I find the requisite drivers and what is the special procedure to do so?

Also, is it possible to have live mirroring (RAID 1) on RedHat Linux 7.2?

Thanking you in advance.

KK

Quote Originally Posted by kshitij_kotak
    Hi

Is it possible to install RedHat Linux 7.2 OS on SATA harddisk? If yes, where would I find the requisite drivers and what is the special procedure to do so?
    Probably not, because SATA support is something that you see mostly in the Linux kernel after version 2.6.x, and Redhat 7.2 uses a *much* older kernel than that. Is there any reason you must use 7.2 rather than Redhat Enterprise Linux 4 or Fedora Core 4?

Also, is it possible to have live mirroring (RAID 1) on RedHat Linux 7.2?
    I dare say it's not possible to have RAID on any Linux right now, particularly not Redhat 7.2. I say this because I have yet to hear anyone on the forum who has successfully configured RAID in Linux.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Sure Its Possible possible to install RedHat 7.2 on a SATA harddisk

Yup, its possible to do it if you have a driver floppy with you. I had to install RedHat 9 on a system with Tyan Tiger Motherboard. and that site were having adequate driver downloads for that.
    Steps are simple search for SATA drivers on the website of Motherboard manufacturer and gunzip/unzip the files to a new floppy. start installation and then the installation will not find any drives it will ask you to choose drivers from a list. Press <F2> to choose your floppy for drivers.

Pls read Documentation accompanying the drivers for complex stuff