Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi Im a experienced Linux user and have and no problem with the os .. but i was wondering is it possible to Install Linux to a hard disk From ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

is it possible to Install Linux to a hard disk From Windows

hi
    Im a experienced Linux user and have and no problem with the os .. but i was wondering

i have thought of a few methods but would need to know programs which would allow me to implement them

is it possible to engage a boot cd to boot from within windows or run the setup program from a linux distro (say debian or gentoo) , else would it be possible to use an x86 emulator and use a entire [empty] hard disk to install to ?

thank you

Just Joined!
    \ bump idddy bump

Just Joined!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by happie munky
    hi
    Im a experienced Linux user and have and no problem with the os .. but i was wondering

i have thought of a few methods but would need to know programs which would allow me to implement them

is it possible to engage a boot cd to boot from within windows or run the setup program from a linux distro (say debian or gentoo) , else would it be possible to use an x86 emulator and use a entire [empty] hard disk to install to ?

thank you

yes and no..

you could at one time put all your distro in a directory (C:\linux)
    then boot off it but then you started linux install which rebooted machine and installed from there..
    but and thats a big BUT i haven't done that for a long time..
    and i dont remember what distro it was or what i did to do it..
    i used it when i had computer that i couldn't boot from CD or get linux to probe it properly..in fact i dont think i ever got it to work with linux(it was a proprietory drive...)
    That was over 10 yrs ago so some grey is missing from then, in fact i think the left over grey matter is still buzzing from then...

I think(not sure if it was that machine) i fitted the distro on 500 mgs of drive space with free drive space.. May have been less or slightly more but i didn't have a 1 gb drive for a long time so i think its right..

things have changed since then...

still got a distro from then slackware 2.3

some where around here i have Redhat 5

and i have susse 6.2
    old hey..

bye for now....

Just Joined!

Cool ps

all linux versions that i knew back then booted from within windows..
    some you go into cd and hit setup and others i had you just put in drive(if your os supported autostart)..

but they all booted into linux install..