Find the answer to your Linux question:
This is my first time trying to install FC4. Each time it freezes on "running /sbin/loader". I tried typing in "linux nofb", but same result. Tried "linux apm=off acpi=off pci=noacpi" ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fc4 Install Freezes On "running /sbin/loader"

This is my first time trying to install FC4. Each time it freezes on "running /sbin/loader". I tried typing in "linux nofb", but same result. Tried "linux apm=off acpi=off pci=noacpi" but still same result. I finally typed in "linux ide=nodma nousb nofb" and that at least got me to the GUI Install where it says "What type of media contains the packages to be installed?" I select Local CDROM since that's where I have my FC4 #1 CD. After a couple mins, it spits out the CD and says "The Fedmore Core CD was not found in any of your CDROM drives."

Can someone help me with this? I'm trying to install on a Latitude notebook. PII 266 128MB RAM.

Thanks!

I can only make a few suggestions of things to try:

- Use the CD check option that comes up before you get to the install proper, it'll verify that your disks have been burned correctly. If any fail, re-burn them, but do them at a slow write speed to avoid any errors.

- Try starting the fedora installation using the 'linux expert' command at the boot prompt - this loads extra bits and pieces for some of the more obscure hardware.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Linux Newbie
    I have also had this same problem, but still haven't solved it. Loader totally freezes. System will not respond to any command and only solution is to reboot. I would also like to hear some suggestions, if someone has solved this problem.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by kavalakala
    I have also had this same problem, but still haven't solved it. Loader totally freezes. System will not respond to any command and only solution is to reboot. I would also like to hear some suggestions, if someone has solved this problem.

I got my problem fixed. I should say this is my case and might not be applicable to all situtation. I change the harddrive still not go thru until I change a new AGP.

Just Joined!

Redhat/Fedora Distributions

I had the same problem/error trying to install multiple versions of Redhat and Fedora Core on a HP DL140. It turns out that the firmware on the cd-rom was causing the problem. I attached a USB cd-rom, changed the boot order in the Bios, and wala....problem solved with no more hang ups. It has to do with an incompatibility with the firmware on the cd-rom drive.