Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Mmm .. I followed the same steps except for kde. I use xdm. And yes, xorg 7.0 is causing some trouble but I've already found a solution to this thanks ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mmm .. I followed the same steps except for kde. I use xdm. And yes, xorg 7.0 is causing some trouble but I've already found a solution to this thanks to scrotto (2nd post).

I guess you did this to install E17.

Code:
    pacman -S eet ewl e
    With of course the community package list available (pacman.conf) All the depencies were taken care of by pacman. Now I get:

Code:
    Did you set the DISPLAY variable?
    .... something like that.

So I tried:
    DISPLAY=enlightenment:0
    and
    DISPLAY=archbox(hostname):0

still no luck. My ~/.xinitrc is properly configured. My xserver can´t find the right fonts though, although they´re in the right place. Still trying to figure out how that works. I found a good site to learn more about X ... http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO....html#RUNNINGX

Anyway .. maybe I need to look at enlightenment.desktop in /usr/share/sessions.

Thanks btw.

ps. Debian Sid?? nice.

Rob.

I read on the Arch website that some apps have a problem with the new directory structure of xorg 7.0. The website seems to be down right now but I believe you have to create a symlink. Try:
    Code:
    ln -s /usr/bin/<xorg 7.0 dir> /usr/bin/X
    Sorry, I am not sure what the xorg 7.0 directory is.

ps. Debian Sid?? nice.
    Thanks. I am trying something new...taking a break from Arch. I will likely be back to Arch soon.

Hope that helps
    Bryan
    Last edited by bryansmith; 02-26-2006 at 01:05 AM.
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Okay, I just reinstalled Arch and had no problems with X.org 7.0. In fact, the only difference I had (compared to 6.8.2) was that I had to install an extra package for my video driver.

I installed E17 a while back with Arch and had no problem with it. Have you tried installing something like blackbox to see if it works? E17 is in development but I don't think it would be giving that kind of error.

Bryan
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Woohoo! ... it works. Never used kde before. Looks awesome. I''m going to try if I can get E17 to run. Thanks bryan and of course all of you who tried to help me out.

I looked through some log files and noticed that it was using the wrong driver. I opened up my case and took note of everything in my case. Looked up Hsync, Vsync, refresh rate (Hz) and the optimum settings for my TFT screen + resolution. Configured xorg.conf manually (changed some filepaths and installed a different driver) and what do you know? It boots up! (had to configure ~/.xinitrc to initiate kde)

Thanks again

Rob.

Just Joined!
    Mmm .. Konquerer is really slow. I may have to install something else.

Congrats on getting it working! Although it wasn't E17, at least you have a desktop .

That was one thing that was odd to me about the new X.org 7.0. I had to download the driver for my vid card myself. Although odd, I saved about 40MB in bandwidth compared to 6.8.2.

There are other file managers. Here is an article that may interest you: http://applications.linux.com/articl...&tid=13&tid=49

Bryan

Just Joined!
    Thanks ...

Anyway, can you help me with E17?

I installed everything in the right order with pacman but it won&#180;t boot up.
    When I type:

Code:
    startx
    It tries to start E17, sets a prefix, waits for the xserver to disable a fontpath and throws me back in my virtual console. I'm googling right now.

Here&#180;s what I get:
    Code:
    DYNAMIC DETERMINED PREFIX:  /opt/e17
    E17: INIT: CHOSEN CINERAMA: [0], 1280x1024+0+0

waiting for xserver to shut down FreeFontPath: FPE "/usr/share/fonts/misc/" refcount is 2, should be 1; fixing.
    It does flash a second and I see an X shaped mouse pointer for a second when I try to start the xserver from the command line. I tried to boot E17 as a regular user (root ... same problem)
    Note: I have two computers standing right next to each other, I use an external switch to connect two computers to 1 screen. I just need to hit the 'switch' button and I&#180;m back in FC 4. That may have got something to do with it. I highly doubt it though because kde works just fine.

Cheers.

Rob.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2