Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello. edit: OK. I fixed my last problem but now I canīt start the xserver to boot up enligthenment. Code: startx I get: Code: video not supported I must change ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Arch Linux installation problem

Hello.

edit:

OK. I fixed my last problem but now I canīt start the xserver to boot up enligthenment.

Code:
    startx
    I get:

Code:
    video not supported
    I must change the appropriate files, problem is ...
    I donīt know where they are and I donīt know which files to modify.

btw. I used pacman to install the rest of the packages. Iīve installed the base package first and installed the rest with pacman.

Any idea's?

Rob.

Arch recently moved Xorg-7 into current--now you have to install, as a rule, the video driver for your card. See Judd's blog on upgrading to Xorg-7.

http://www.archlinux.org/blog/2006/0...-upgrade-xorg/

This is only a guess about your problem, but it seems quite possible, especially as people are getting confused about some of the differences between Xorg-7 and earlier versions.

As root, do
    Code:
    xorgconfig
    And put in your info for your mouse, keyboard, monitor and video card.
    Just select from the menus that come up.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the help.

Solution:
    CTRL, ALT, <+> ....

No joke . I needed to change a few lines in xorg.conf though. Thanks for pointing that out. xorgconfig changes everything back to the 'old xorg' settings so I had to change everything manually. Thanks though.

I'm not satisfied despite the fact that I can finally use Arch. I have a few other questions:

- Where is the terminal? I can't find it
    - Typing Init 5 btw doesn't work either. I need to type "startx" to get E to boot up.
    - My scroll button doesn't work. (set to: " Auto" in xorg.conf)
    - I think I need a different video driver, Is there any way to determine which graphics card I have without looking into the case?
    - The font size is really small. I mean really, really small. I want to change that, how?
    -Sound doesn't work either, 'can't load esound'

Cheers. (*goes to www.google.com ...*)

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity
    - Where is the terminal? I can't find it
    - Typing Init 5 btw doesn't work either. I need to type "startx" to get E to boot up.
    - My scroll button doesn't work. (set to: " Auto" in xorg.conf)
    - I think I need a different video driver, Is there any way to determine which graphics card I have without looking into the case?
    - The font size is really small. I mean really, really small. I want to change that, how?
    Well, my suggestions for the first two reflect my personal preference of "just use the virtual terminals" (ctl+)alt+F# (never messed w/ archlinux or enlightenment) and "it's better to boot into CLI - why would you want to change it?".

Perhaps init 5 isn't named init 5? Maybe it's init 4? Either way, check out /etc/inittab (i believe) and there's a line to change the initial state (gui or cli)

For the scroll button part, do you mean the scroll part or the button part? For the scroll, you need the line:
    Code:
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    in the mouse section of xorg.conf - for the button part, I've just been too lazy to look it up or figure it out, so I'd like to know, too. (I can live w/o auto-dblclick, but not w/o my scroll)

For the video card, try going to /proc and look at the files such as /proc/devices --- that sort of thing and You should see information about the hardware.

For the font size, I assume you're talking about inside enlightenment. My guess is that you could change the resolution - (I thought that's what ctl+alt+(<+>/<->) did). Other than that, no clue where to find any font changing in enlightenment.

Hope some of this helps
    --luke

Just Joined!
    Thanks. Yes Crtl,Alt <+> does change the resolution. I changed some settings in xorg.conf to find the right resolution (because I do not know what the resolution of my TFT screen is).

I want a scroll button. I already knew about the Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" ... thanks though.

Lots of stuff in /proc .. will look at that later.

Well, my suggestions for the first two reflect my personal preference of "just use the virtual terminals" (ctl+)alt+F# (never messed w/ archlinux or enlightenment) and "it's better to boot into CLI - why would you want to change it?".
    because I&#180;m used to booting in a GUI environment. I now know where to change such settings, thanks. (btw... still booting in init 3 )

init 5 will boot up X11. Doesn&#180;t matter anymore because I had to install everything all over again because I had changed too much in 'inittab'. Doesn&#180;t matter, I took notes while installing arch because I&#180;m going to write a tutorial for Arch (school project).

Now I have a new problem. I installed arch the way I want to but it doesn&#180;t boot E17 when I type enlightenment or startx.

it&#180;s saying I&#180;ve to change the DISPLAY variable. I don&#180;t know how. Any idea's?

Are you trying to launch E as root by any chance (run it as a regular user)? What happens when you change your inittab to runlevel 5 as your default?

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Just Joined!
    No. As a regular user. Maybe I did something wrong during the installation of Arch (pacman is awesome btw)?

I&#180;m going to try to change the init default to 5.

Rob.

Just Joined!
    No luck .. it&#180;s redirecting me to a virtual console.

bryan, may I ask ... how did you install Arch? Which packages did you select during the installation process?

I have a lot of patience but this is really annoying. Already the third day. Ah well .. at least I learned a lot about Linux and I&#180;m not givin' up.... never.

Cheers,

Rob.

When I had Arch installed, I installed the base system then did a 'pacman -Syu', 'pacman -S xorg' and finally 'pacman -S kde'. I know kde would have pulled in xorg as a dependency but for some reason I did it seperately. I configured xorg using xorgconfig and it seemed to work fine. Note though that at the time, xorg 6.8.2 was in current and not 7.0. 7.0 seems different enough to cause some problems.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast