Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I was using Kubuntu when I decided to install Fedora Core 4. Fedora Core came up with an error. I restarted and the computer wouldnt boot. There was a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Computer wont boot

Hi, I was using Kubuntu when I decided to install Fedora Core 4. Fedora Core came up with an error. I restarted and the computer wouldnt boot. There was a flashing cursor on a black screen. I reinstalled Kubuntu and it worked. But, when I rebooted there was that flashing curser again. The install setup said it installed grub fine though.

Whats wrong?

Im a Linux newb.
    I have two HD.
    My original OS was Windows XP Home.
    My RAM is 512MB.
    Im Intel Petium 4.

this sounds like a messed up bootloader. I'm not sure which one ubantu uses (grub or lilo), but Fedora uses grub. So what I'd recommend is to use the instal cd to boot from, then chroot (described elsewhere in the forum, do a search on it) across to your harddisk ubantu (makes your hard disk ubantu the one that you're running from, ie. you've booted on a cd version of ubantu and after the chroot, you'll have the hard disk version running).

Then re-install onto the master boot record (mbr) your boot loader (either with a grub-install or a lilo).

Things to remember. You need to be happy you know which hard disk you are booting from (defined by you in the BIOS) and that is the mbr that you're installing the bootloader onto.

Also, have a look in the tutorial section of this forum, to see if there are any posts that will help.

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS