Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey there, had so much trouble with mandrake that i decided to try suse. i'm dual booting with WinXP and i'm running an Nforce2 chipset. i'm using the nforce NIC ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

prob with suse 9.0 ftp install

hey there,

had so much trouble with mandrake that i decided to try suse.

i'm dual booting with WinXP and i'm running an Nforce2 chipset.

i'm using the nforce NIC so far as i know isn't supported by linux cause its not open source. so i put the binary rpm's on a fat formatted floppy and clicked update modules or something in the ftp install program and it wouldn't take it. maybe it needed an ext2 or 3 formatted floppy? but still it said that it had vfat drivers.

any ideas?

thanks so much in advance,
    brad

Linux Engineer
    ur right to have the disk formatted to fat16/32, im not sure how suse uses 3rd party modules durign isntall. but i have a feeling u need a compiled module, not an rpm.

once u have this module switch to a terminal during install and add it in.

Linux Guru
    I haven't used SuSE, so unfortunately I'm not familiar with the "FTP Install Program" that you mention. Is it something that you use to install the system, or is it something that you start once the system is installed?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    howdy, it installs the system. it can't do it if it can't find the network.

thanks, brad

Linux Guru
    If that is so, then it most likely cannot take RPMs. RPMs are only meant for a complete system, not for an installation bootstrapper.
    The installation programs for different distros usually have their own driver floppy format. Red Hat, for example, uses a cpio archive with kernel modules along with some other info. SuSE should have some documenation about their format on their site.