Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello everyone, I would appreciate if someone could help me overcome my problem. The error follows: [root@localhost Intel-v92ham-453]# make ham Module precompile check Current running kernel is: 2.4.20-8 /lib/modules... autoconf.h ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

error during module precompile check

Hello everyone,

I would appreciate if someone could help me overcome my problem. The error follows:

[root@localhost Intel-v92ham-453]# make ham
    Module precompile check
    Current running kernel is: 2.4.20-8
    /lib/modules... autoconf.h exists
    diff: /boot/vmlinuz.autoconf.h: No such file or directory
    autoconf.h matches running kernel
    diff: /boot/vmlinuz.version.h: No such file or directory
    version.h matches running kernel
    cd coredrv; make \
    "PSTN_DEF=-DTARGET_HAM -DDSP_CODE_800_SERIES -DTARGET_LINUX -DLINUX" \
    ham;
    make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/Intel-v92ham-453/coredrv'
    cc -DTARGET_HAM -DDSP_CODE_800_SERIES -DTARGET_LINUX -DLINUX -Wall -O -I /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include -I../inc -c -o coredrv.o coredrv.c
    cc -DTARGET_HAM -DDSP_CODE_800_SERIES -DTARGET_LINUX -DLINUX -Wall -O -I /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include -I../inc -c -o clmmain.o clmmain.c
    cc -DTARGET_HAM -DDSP_CODE_800_SERIES -DTARGET_LINUX -DLINUX -Wall -O -I /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include -I../inc -c -o rts.o rts.c
    cc -DTARGET_HAM -DDSP_CODE_800_SERIES -DTARGET_LINUX -DLINUX -Wall -O -I /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include -I../inc -c -o task.o task.c
    cc -DTARGET_HAM -DDSP_CODE_800_SERIES -DTARGET_LINUX -DLINUX -Wall -O -I /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include -I../inc -c -o uart.o uart.c
    cc -DTARGET_HAM -DDSP_CODE_800_SERIES -DTARGET_LINUX -DLINUX -Wall -O -I /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include -I../inc -c -o wwh_dflt.o wwh_dflt.c
    ld -r coredrv.o clmmain.o rts.o task.o uart.o wwh_dflt.o hamcore.lib -o hamcore.o
    ld: cannot open hamcore.lib: No such file or directory
    make[1]: *** [ham] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/Intel-v92ham-453/coredrv'
    make: *** [ham] Error 2

Thanks in advance

Linux Guru
    It seems that you are missing a file called hamcore.lib, and it seems that it's supposed to come with the program that you're trying to compile. Can you find such a file in the source directory?

Just Joined!
    Yes, there is hamcore.lib in /coredrv. But those two files (/boot/vmlinuz.autoconf.h; vmlinuz.version.h) are not n /boot. Is that important for the installation itself?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    If I have understood the situation correctly from that output that you posted, it would seem that the program uses /boot/vmlinuz.autoconf.h as a preference and then falls back on using the kernel source tree in /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build if it couldn't find vmlinuz.autoconf.h. I'm not completely sure about that, though - do you have a link to the package so that I can check out what it actually does?

I find it even stranger, though, that it can't open hamcore.lib if it actually is there. Could you try running the ld command manually in that directory and see if it produces the same error? If it does, try running this (providing that you have strace installed):
    Code:
    strace -o ld.strace ld -r coredrv.o clmmain.o rts.o task.o uart.o wwh_dflt.o hamcore.lib -o hamcore.o
    Then, please mail the produced ld.strace file to me, and I'll see if I can find out something from it.

Just Joined!
    Here is the URL: http://www.sweexeurope.com/product.asp?dlId=56

Thanks for helping me. I'll send what you requested as soon as I can.

Linux Guru
    That's weird. It worked perfectly when I tried to compile it. I would have compiled it for you, but I doubt you would have much use for it, since it is your kernel that it has to interface against, not mine.

Just Joined!
    I made a mistake, I apologize. /coredrv/hamcore.lib that I found was in directory from the package. When I checked in my installation ./coredrv/ it was no loger there. It's kind of bizzare since I copied it there from the installation package. Anyway I unpacked it again and tried again. And it worked (which is logical):

[root@localhost Intel-v92ham-453]# make ham
    Module precompile check
    Current running kernel is: 2.4.20-8
    /lib/modules... autoconf.h exists
    diff: /boot/vmlinuz.autoconf.h: No such file or directory
    autoconf.h matches running kernel
    diff: /boot/vmlinuz.version.h: No such file or directory
    version.h matches running kernel
    cd coredrv; make \
    ham;
    make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/Intel-v92ham-453/coredrv'
    cc -DTARGET_HAM -DDSP_CODE_800_SERIES -DTARGET_LINUX -DLINUX -Wall -O -I /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include -I../inc -c -o coredrv.o coredrv.c
    cc -DTARGET_HAM -DDSP_CODE_800_SERIES -DTARGET_LINUX -DLINUX -Wall -O -I /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include -I../inc -c -o clmmain.o clmmain.c
    cc -DTARGET_HAM -DDSP_CODE_800_SERIES -DTARGET_LINUX -DLINUX -Wall -O -I /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include -I../inc -c -o rts.o rts.c
    cc -DTARGET_HAM -DDSP_CODE_800_SERIES -DTARGET_LINUX -DLINUX -Wall -O -I /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include -I../inc -c -o task.o task.c
    cc -DTARGET_HAM -DDSP_CODE_800_SERIES -DTARGET_LINUX -DLINUX -Wall -O -I /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include -I../inc -c -o uart.o uart.c
    cc -DTARGET_HAM -DDSP_CODE_800_SERIES -DTARGET_LINUX -DLINUX -Wall -O -I /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include -I../inc -c -o wwh_dflt.o wwh_dflt.c
    ld -r coredrv.o clmmain.o rts.o task.o uart.o wwh_dflt.o hamcore.lib -o hamcore.o
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/Intel-v92ham-453/coredrv'
    cp coredrv/hamcore.o .
    cd serialdrv; make \
    ham;
    make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/Intel-v92ham-453/serialdrv'
    cc -DTARGET_HAM -DDSP_CODE_800_SERIES -DTARGET_LINUX -DLINUX -Wall -O -I /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include -I ../inc -c -o clmdrvr.o clmdrvr.c
    ld -r clmdrvr.o -o ham.o
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/Intel-v92ham-453/serialdrv'
    cp serialdrv/ham.o .

But I get the following error when I do 'make install':

[root@localhost Intel-v92ham-453]# make install
    bash haminst
    running kernel 2.4.20-8
    installing hamregistry, used for persistant storage
    installing ham module
    installing hamcore module
    redhat hamboot rc2.d and rc3.d scripts
    starting module and utilities
    error loading ham
    done

After the inst. I rebooted twice. During the first boot I got some alert regarding module dependency problems. During the second there was no alert, but modem is still not working anyway.

Linux Guru
    If you run "modprobe ham", what does it return?

Just Joined!
    The output I get follows:

[root@localhost perplexor]# /sbin/modprobe ham
    Warning: loading /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/drivers/char/hamcore.o will taint the kernel: non-GPL license - Proprietary
    See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information about tainted modules
    Module hamcore loaded, with warnings
    /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/drivers/char/ham.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
    Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
    You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
    /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/drivers/char/ham.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/drivers/char/ham.o failed
    /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/drivers/char/ham.o: insmod ham failed

And when I do dmesg, I get the following output (related to the 'ham'):

[root@localhost perplexor]# dmesg
    hamcore module init
    ham: device not found.
    hamcore module cleanup

Linux Guru
    It seems that the driver won't recognize your device. Since I don't even know what device it is and it also is a proprietary driver, I'm afraid I can't help you with getting that part to work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast