Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am downloading all 3 iso's of mandrivia linux to my computer. i'm using fsum to make sure that i got the whole file downloaded, and i have also used ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem with Fips

I am downloading all 3 iso's of mandrivia linux to my computer. i'm using fsum to make sure that i got the whole file downloaded, and i have also used windows defrag to clean up my C: drive (only drive, apart from cd/dvd drive that i have.) well my problem is that whenever i run fips, i get this error message (it happens for other programs too):
    C:\Unzipped\Linux\fips20\fips.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT.- The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft WIndows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.
    is there any alternative to fips that will safely repartition my c: drive w/ out deleteing my files?

thanks,
    cokacola650

is your C: drive formatted as FAT or NTFS? If it is FAT, use FIPS, else get yourself a copy of the Knoppix LiveCD and use the qtparted program on it to repartition the drive.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    yep, its NFTS. thanks for the help

is knoppix a distro of linux? i dont understand is it exactly.

cokacola650

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Yes, Knoppix is a Linux distro. Being a LiveCD it runs off the system RAM and no installation is required.

When you go to repartition the drive using knoppix, make sure that the partition you wish to resize is unmounted first. You do this by looking on the desktop for an icon which looks like a hard drive, find the correct one, right click on it and tell it to unmount. Do this before launching QTparted.

Alternatively, you can just do a umount /mnt/hda1 replace hda1 with appropriate partition name.

Just Joined!
    sorry, i dont understand how to "unmount" a drive. i am currently using windows xp right now. i was planning on using the mandrixia distro to begin w/ linux. this is my first time ever dealing w/ linux. is there no other program, other than a whole other distro, that will safely repartion a drive?

thanks for the help,
    cokacola650

Unmounting the drive in Linux, see my previous post for that i.e. this section:
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    You do this by looking on the desktop for an icon which looks like a hard drive, find the correct one, right click on it and tell it to unmount.
    See the thing is that while the drive is mounted (think of it as accessible) you can't resize it, so you need to unmount it in order to resize it. i.e. make it "unaccessible".

There is no need to physicially unplug the drive or anything, just unmount it in Knoppix and create an empty partition using QTparted.

[QUOTE=cokacola650}is there no other program, other than a whole other distro, that will safely repartion a drive?[/QUOTE]
    The program to use is QTparted, but the thing is unless you already have an existing Linux install, there is no way that I know of to get it running in Windows. However, if you just want a program to do it for you and you have the $$$, buy a copy of Partition Magic (preferably a version newer than to resize the NTFS drive for you.

Just Joined!
    ahhh, i think i am beginning to understand this now a little bit better. the only thing is that when i burned the ISO of knoopix onto a cd w/ cdburnerXP pro, i cant boot it. I go into bios and select boot from cd, but i get an error that says MS-DOS doesn't work. i did select that the cd be bootable and set the enumeration type to Hard disk. i'm not sure what went wrong. has anybody ever heard of an error like this before?

thanks,
    cokacola650

did you burn iso as an image or as data ? you need to burn iso as an image. also, after downloading do an md5 checksum to make sure the download is ok for md5 checksum in windows,try this http://www.fastsum.com/

andy
    SLOMO: acer extensa 5235 2.2ghz,2gb ram 160gb hdd wireless
    SPEEDY: homebrew desktop,Amd x2 dualcore,2gb ram,500gb +1tb( 2x500gb) hdd suse 11.3,32mb fibreline
    registered linux user #401845

Just Joined!
    yep, after erading the sticky about it i was sure to burn it as an image. i'll check the sum though

thanks,
    cokacola650