Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello Guys.. First to say, i'm new here and i can't speaking too good english (i'm from switzerland; reading isn't a problem, but writing).. I want to try to get ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Linux on USB-Stick

Hello Guys..

First to say, i'm new here and i can't speaking too good english (i'm from switzerland; reading isn't a problem, but writing)..

I want to try to get Linux (Debian preffered) to my 1GB USB-Stick. How can i make it?

It would be great if you can help me.

thx and greets

PIRAT!

EDIT:
    Oh, i forgot to say, it must be a kind of LiveCD (ergo LiveStick), so i can run the linux not only on one computer...
    Could i copy the Elive CDrom to the USB-Stick? Or give it to me problems later when i want to save something?
    thx

There are a lot of live distros that can run from a USB stick. Trick is that the bootloader from a CD won't work. I believe Damn Small Linux works well and has tools for installation to USB stick, it is also Debian based.

Personally I use Slax. It is excellent, lightweight but fully featured. The benefit of Slax is that it is modular, so once installed to the stick from the running live distro you can add modules from the slax site to add extra apps and functionality. It is slackware based but, in my mind not as stagnant as other live distros in that it can constantly be changed without reinstalling or rebuilding. Rescues me at least once a week at work.

thx man, this is a great help!

i will post my following problems later here...

thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    so, i installed dsl on my usb-stick. this one was quite easy. but now i have only "********" on the usb-stick, i mean files like: ldlinux.sys, boot.cat, boot.msg, f2, f3, german.kbd, linux24

not realy the root directory.

isn't it possible to have a normal uncompressed root directory on the stick?

thx a lot
    PIRAT

It really depends on the OS. Most really live OSes will have a cloop file, some tar.gz files or an image. Knoppix I believe has a 600MB shell script. With Slax you can install a fully working uncompressed OS, it runs at about 500MB. It will still have good hardware detection for each new PC. The fully live version only takes up 180-200MB.

Yeah, it also depends on the size of your stick (so to speak). 1Gb should be enough for a minimal install including the root directory. If you dont mind wiping the memory stick then give it a go. I'm sure we'd all like to hear how you get on (I know I would).
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Linux Engineer
    Those files may even be enough (I don't remember which files were on it, check the size, if they are ~50MB then it should be OK), you can install more software once you boot it.

Also, speed-wize, it may be faster to leave it compressed if you think the slowdown of more i/o with the memory stick don't compensate for the less CPU usage...

Just Joined!

There is a new linux distro that comes on a USB Stick

Hey I found a web site that has a debian based linux preinstalled on a stick. check out www.linuxonastik.com

Quote Originally Posted by linuxboxmaster
    Hey I found a web site that has a debian based linux preinstalled on a stick. check out www.linuxonastik.com
    $300 for a 2GB stick with linux pre-installed?

Yet you can buy a 2GB memory stick for £23.82, thats less than $30. And install DSL on that, for nothing. That linux distro Pockit Linux must be pretty cool to justify the $270 price tag...
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!

It is cool!

First the USB Stick for 23.82 is a cheap slow buggy copy made in china. Not a lexar lighting! I looked all over the web and tried figuring out how to load Knoppix on a stick. I got it to work on a 1G stick but my 2gig would not boot. Damn Small is just small! Well there is a big problem with the syslinux boot loader. It just does not allow for a stick over 1gig. So if you tried to put Damn Small on a 2gig stick it won't boot! I bought a 2 gig Lexar Lighting from that website and it boots great and I have KDE and Openoffice and WINE! I ran Dreamweaver inside linux off my windows drive. All I can say is its great!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast