Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

The best way to install MPlayer is with the source. I'll admit it took a while to figure out but now that I know how I found that it runs best when compiled from source. When I had a redhat system I used the mplayer rpms for a day and found that they played video slower on my system than the compiled version. Compiling MPlayer isnt that hard its just configuring it aftward thats a little bit of hell. Anyway I suggest compiling Mplayer from source.

But if you install with RPM's and everything runs great just ignore what I just said
    The computer made me do it!! Slackware and SUSE too Gig\'em WHOOOOP!!
    \"God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain amount of tasks, At the rate I\'m going I will never die.\" (I don\'t know)

Linux Guru
    Yes, compiling from source is a good idea for many reasons. Not the least is that you get all the CPU- and architecture-dependent optimizations.

Quote Originally Posted by bignester
    then you go inside the new directory and here is the series of commands in order.

bash:~$ ./configure
    bash:~$ make
    What do i have to do with these commands?? (redhat...)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Don't forget about YUM: I use it to install packages on my RedHat machines. http://linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/

Then yum install package

I believe that's the syntax.

Good luck!

Linux Engineer
    To install from source code follow these steps:

1. Download the src from heer:

ftp://ftp5.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/rele....0pre3.tar.bz2 and save it in your home directory for example: /home/thomasd1/src/MPlayer-1.0pre3.tar.bz2

3. In a terminal window (xterm,aterm,konsole,eterm) type the following:

cd /home/thomasd1/src/

This will move your location to /home/thomasd1/src/ (where you saved the mplayer source code) Now that you are there you can type the following to extract it:

tar -xvjf MPlayer-1.0pre3.tar.bz2

Now in /home/thomasd1/src/ you will have the directory MPlayer-1.0pre3 which contains the extracted source code. So cd to that directory:

cd MPlayer-1.0pre3

Now all that remains is to build and install the source with the following commands:

configure && make

Note: The configure and make commands can take some time to run.
    Because mplayer and most other programs keep important files in non home directorys (like /usr and /etc) this last step needs to be run as "super user" or "root" so type:

su (and press return. Enter password when prompted).

Now the final step of installing the compiled files

make install

When this command has finnished running you should be able to start mplayer from the command line like this:

mplayer -fs /home/thomasd1/movies/myfilm.mpeg

(Note that all commands are case sensitive!)

If the compile/install process failed then you probably dont have all the dependancies installed (gtk for example - if you want the gui). In that case you should check the mplayer website for information on what dependencies it needs. (Redhat Linux will probably have most if not all of these in rpm format on the cd's).

Good Luck