Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, very unfortunate thing happened to me. I have winXP OS installed on hda and free (ready for gentoo) hdb drive. I was installing gentoo linux on hdb trying to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Disabled disk drive by mke2fs ... PLEASE HELP!

Hi,

very unfortunate thing happened to me.
    I have winXP OS installed on hda and free (ready for gentoo) hdb drive.
    I was installing gentoo linux on hdb trying to have dual system, but when creating filesystem with mke2fs I mistaken letter "b" and "a" and wrote mke2fs /dev/hda1 ... but it should be mke2fs /dev/hdb1. I hit enter and immediately noticed that, but it already started to work I hit ^C ending mke2fs I tryed reboot back into winXP -> "error loading operating system" message appeared.

PLEASE, if is there a way to recover data from that drive I wolud be very grateful. I have there a lot of work.

only first stage of mke2fs started and haven't finished. Anyone who can help me recover it?

I dont think you need telling now that you must be extremely careful when using disk formatting and editing tools as root. The format of the disk will have been overwritten in part. To recover any data, you may find that your only solution is to read through the disk sector by sector and recover what you can. If the data has significant value, then you may want to consider hiring professional data recovery experts.

You could just go back to a backup, though, cant you? You did keep a backup, didn't you? If not, then you have just learned a very important lesson
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!

Any recovery program suggestions?

No a haven't got a backup unfortunately
    The best is simply disconnect other hard drives when messing up with partitions/formating The same happened to me few years ago with fdisk.

I used "GetDataBack for NTFS" and it scaned drive and made a list of files ... looks complete so hopefuly it's not worst scenario. But still I have a problem, there is 250 GB of data on that drive and I have no where to copy it for recovery. Anyone aware of any app that can fix NTFS MFT or in my case recreate it? Or can anyone suggest what app is best for recovery? I tryied to play a movie recovered from that drive and it had some flaws but I don't know if it is caused by recovery process.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    It all depends how valuable the data is. 250Gb is a helluva lot of data (and you say you dont have a backup... another important lesson learned, eh? )

If you have a LAN, then recovering and dumping on one (or more, if necessary) other computers might be a solution.

If the data is _very_ valuable, then you may find it easiest to go and buy a new 300Gb HDD and plug it in next to the first hard disk, then copy onto the new drive all the rescued data. It may cost £100/$150+, but like I said, how valuable is this data?

Cheaper options? Maybe you can copy it out to another hard disk in 4.5 Gb chunks then burn it to DVD? DVD's hold between 4.5 and 5 Gigs, so you may need a fair few (maybe 50 disks). This is also time-intensive, but then again, how valuable is your data?
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/