Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone OK, here's my setup:- HDD 1: 190GB SATA-II (NTFS/WinXP Home SP2) HDD 2: 180GB PATA/UDMA 5 (Linux) So I formatted HDD 2/installed FC4. Problem is, unless the SATA ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problems with dual HDD's: Fedora Core 4 + WinXP

Hello everyone

OK, here's my setup:-

HDD 1: 190GB SATA-II (NTFS/WinXP Home SP2)
    HDD 2: 180GB PATA/UDMA 5 (Linux)

So I formatted HDD 2/installed FC4. Problem is, unless the SATA drive is disabled in BIOS (or indeed unplugged) the GRUB bootloader doesn't execute after installation. I can set to boot from the PATA drive first in BIOS, but on selecting WinXP from the bootloader's list, Windows will not boot...

Are there known isues with SATA/SATA-II in Fedora Core 4? Is it worth trying another distro when the problem could lie elsewhere; is it worth reformatting HDD 1/reinstalling Windows* and starting from scratch?

Thanks in advance.

*Yes, I installed Windows first to begin with BTW

Some SATA drives are still not detected first time through. It looks like your boot loader has been installed on the boot partition of /dev/hda, which probably means that FC4 didn't detect the drive at install time.

If you can see both drives from FC4, then a fix may be as simple as installing grub on the boot sector of the primary drive (/dev/sda). If not, then you need to reinstall FC4 with both drives visible. To do this, use the 'linux expert' command when booting from the CD, and making sure that the boot loader goes onto the SATA disk's boot sector.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Thankyou for your reply.

I can indeed see the SATA drive in FC4, although during installation it refused to be recognised...

So, if yourself or someone else could walk me through reinstalling GRUB on my primary HDD/MBR, I'd be eternally gratefull .

The command to use is 'grub-install'. May be as simple as running:

Code:
    grub-install /dev/sda
    as root, but check the manpage first ('man grub-install').
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff

Code:
    grub-install /dev/sda
    OK, conffesionately I ran this straight off and now I'm left unable to boot into Windows. As Sod's Law states my WinXP setup CD-ROM is on the blink (refuses to load up after the 'inspecting your hardware config' maeeasge displays), thus I cannot run the "fdisk/mbr" command...

Any way in Hell that I can 'uninstall' GRUB without any access to Windows?

Thanks.

**UPDATE**: Thankfully I got the Win setup disk to work.

Back to the original problem however, GRUB does not want to recognise my SATA it seems...