Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, im a noob and have decieded to take on linux and learn what its all about, it looks great so far, rite, now im on windows xp and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Could anyone be so kind to help me install Mandrake on Vmware ?

Hi all,

im a noob and have decieded to take on linux and learn what its all about, it looks great so far,

rite, now im on windows xp and have vmware installed, now ive been haveing trouble with vmware recognising my mandrake linux cd that i made from downloading www.linuxiso.org, now i made the cd there but dont have the original iso on on hard drive, its just the cd that i made, it boots up fine in windows , but when i start the virtual machine in vmware , it does nothing , the cd doesnt boot, and it just go to "no operating system installed"

CAn anyone help ?> it would be greatly appriciated,

thanks

HwSavage

I think you have to go into the virtual machine's BIOS and set it to boot from the CD first. You may also have to push the button at the top of the vmware window to tell it to use the inserted CD-ROM.

There may be another solution too. Vmware player comes with pre-installed vmware disk-images (.vmx files). If you go to the vmware website and follow the links for the player, you might be able to find a pre-installed system using Mandrake. I downloaded the free 'player' software for use here at work, and got hold of an Ubuntu system disk (.vmx) (I didn't like brown, though, so I re-installed the .vmx system with Fedora Core 4).
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    could you maybe explain a little where the button is that you press ??

ive got version 3 of vmware , so i dont no if it would be different in others

Just Joined!
    rite i got it to boot , i gave it the iso link on the cd, then it gets into the installation , but then it wont carry on, wants me to select the installation method, when i choose cd, it say something about a driver missing,

ahh , one prob after the next,

HELP !! 1lol

I have vmware player v 1.0.1, there are a list of buttons on the top for CD, floppy, network and audio, and when they are clicked 'in' whatever they're connected to on the host PC is forwarded through to the virtual pc.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    i should of said that i was using vmware workstation, sorry about that, thats why i didnt no what button you were talking about

im installed vmware player now, will report back

Just Joined!
    alright mate, im stuck again , where would i find the configuration files ???

thanks for you help so far