Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
bios loads, and then the screen to chose startup options. the normal one some other one fail-safe one. thats all i get... unless i get to press f1 there? Ill ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

bios loads, and then the screen to chose startup options.

the normal one
    some other one
    fail-safe one.

thats all i get... unless i get to press f1 there? Ill have a look latrer, im in the process of getting ready for work...
    /skythra

Linux Guru
    I really hope that it is as Hellmasker said that Mandrake 9.1 shipped with a faulty kernel, because otherwise you might be in a world of trouble.

You see, that error message is an indication of a severe kernel bug. Those happen extremely seldom (read: never happen) on working hardware if the kernel is good. Therefore, if Mandrake's kernel really isn't bad like Hellmasker says it is, chances are very high that your hardware is faulty. I think that you should try another distro to see if it can boot. A good idea is to try Knoppix. Knoppix isn't a full distribution that installs itself, but rather a LiveCD. A LiveCD is a distribution that runs completely off a CD and doesn't use the hard drive.

Linux Newbie
    okay you are kind of scaring me, but i know my hardware was faulty when i originally installed the kernal.... and then i changed my hardware... without having changed the kernel in anyways.

If it was windows, it would **** itself. (as windows does when you change the driving force of a computer) I was thinking that it was like that. Cause i changed the mobo, linux has installed itself to work in the original way, using the drivers off the other mobo, and now when it tries sending the same commands, the Via chipset is no longer there to understand them but instead the nForce2 chipset is there to interprate them, and when its interprating them, the commands are obviously going to be taken a different way, a way that the kernel cant understand and hence whats happening.

Also i know nothing about linux, that was just what i thought. Anyways, grabbing that cd thing now, and hence should be able to check out booting procedure.

Thanks

Edit: I still have that problem with not having an unlimited bandwidth, so ive found an iso that does apparently the same thing running mandrake 9.2 'live' so im just going to see how this works.. though i have 10gigz per month (for $5 less per month but 7extra gigz). Australia is going to slowly move at becomming better at internet plans for cable..
    /skythra

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Well, let's just hope that Hellmasker is right. I don't have any Mandrake experience, so I can't say. In any case, I would recommend trying something else. You could also try Fedore Core 1 from http://fedora.redhat.com/.

Linux Newbie
    hooraj.

Ive managed to 're-write boot sector' and then things worked a little more smoothely, like i was able to install mandrake again (i had the CD's handy at the time)

It actually is working pretty well, as in the fact when my PC boots, it asks what to use, failsafe, mandrake, or windows.

But then i ran into problems: I installed mandrake on the 5.8gig HDD... where i thought it would OVERWRITE the old install. Then i ran into the first problem: I had only 500 spare megs for extra components...

Okay... how would i go about deleting everything? Or sayd if i install something like the fedora, that will format ONLY the smaller HDD right? Not my 40gigz of everything i havnt backed up over the last 2 years?

Its kind of important that i dont lose it... i mean really i should just unplug the larger HDD and be safe, but i actually want to be able to learn on linux easily, without having to worry about plugging in or out cables each time i turn on the PC.

My goal is to slowly integrate myself onto the cheaper and more reliable linux platform... if i get there or not isnt too important, its the journey thats fun.

Edit: also other problems included not being able to install the onboard lan which is a common problem with the a7n8x boards i hear... but i thought i saw some replies to the various threads that ill lookthrough when i get around to it.
    /skythra

Linux Engineer
    when you install your chosen linux distro, it should ask you if you wish to format the partition(s) you will be using... this will erase everything and perform a "clean" install.. juest make sure that you don't tell it to format hda1 (which should be your windoze partition if it is on the first partition of the primary master, which is where it likes to install itself)..

another possibility on not having much free space is that you could have installed 5.x Gb of software when you selected which packages you wanted to install.. if you know what programs you do/do not want on your system, it might be a good idea to take the extra time to individually select your packages... be warned, though, that can take a *long* time...

one more thing, if you ever want to get rid of the linux bootloader from the MBR of the first HDD, run fdisk /mbr from a DOS prompt... it will tell windows to overwrite the MBR with a copy of its bootloader.. (this last bit is good to know if you ever decide to get rid of linux for some reason or you need to kill the linux bootloader for repair reasons..)

Linux Guru
    I don't remember exactly how Mandrake's installation program's partitioning works, but I think it should resembles RedHat's, considering that Mandrake is based on RedHat.

RedHat (and Fedora) let's you choose exactly what partitions to format. By default, they don't format any pre-existing data partitions, so I suspect that that is what you have encountered here.

Linux Newbie
    another possibility on not having much free space is that you could have installed 5.x Gb of software when you selected which packages you wanted to install.. if you know what programs you do/do not want on your system, it might be a good idea to take the extra time to individually select your packages... be warned, though, that can take a *long* time...
    This is where it tole me i ad 500 mb of space left... I selected the wanted instal software stuff... and nothing but 'you dont have the space to install it' was all i could read!

Do you know how to change the default startup? i just want the default to be windows, mainly because im using a nforce chipset i cant use the internet straight away, so im going to go looking for whatever is needed there after i sort my way through the beginning steps =D
    /skythra

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Skythra
    Do you know how to change the default startup? i just want the default to be windows, mainly because im using a nforce chipset i cant use the internet straight away, so im going to go looking for whatever is needed there after i sort my way through the beginning steps =D
    That depends on the boot loader - did you install LILO or GRUB? In any case, I'm fairly sure that you can set it during installation. I know you can with RedHat's installer, at least, and I think that Mandrake's installer should allow you to do that as well.

Linux Newbie
    What i really should do is find someone that lives nearby to help me out, cause so far i only take one step at a time before comming back here...

Next question: How can i access my 40gig NTFS drive when im using fedora, which is installed on the 8gig drive?

Fedora installed perfectly. Not a hiccup. Or so i think... But all my music (my greatest possesion) is on the 40 gig, and i want mplayer to play it!

I still have yet to learn commands and stuff and the gui can only do so much... i also need to be able to access the larger windows drive so i can grab my nic drivers off it for fendora to install my onboard lan...

Thanks for all the patience you have shown towards with me =D and all the help you have been giving!

Edit: Im reading about how to do it now, so actually dont reply straight away =D ill see if i cant work it out and then if i run into more problems ill come back and ask again =p

thanks!
    /skythra

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast