Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Okay, i dont think you will remember me, but way back i had an asus a7v333 something-or-other: anyways, i mentioned that i probably broke it and hence nothing was working ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Again with installation help!

Okay, i dont think you will remember me, but way back i had an asus a7v333 something-or-other: anyways, i mentioned that i probably broke it and hence nothing was working and i would come back when i had
    a) time
    b) new mobo

Im back!

Ive got horrible ammounts of time because i work split shifts, so i work 4 hours sleep 8 hours, work four hours, sleep and so on:

anyways the point is i now ahve an asus a7n8x-x, and mandrake (the one which was suggested) will no longer boot.

That would be fine normally in an enviroment i understand, i boot to commandprompt via cd reformat and start from scratch (having done this many times with windoze)

But i just get en panic message and thats the end of mandrake booting. I didnt write it down cause im lazy, but ill do that in just a minute, what i want to do is just FORMAT the drive into ANY file system.

Also why wont mandrake boot off a cd? WHY? oh i have mandrake 9.1

Windoze doesnt register the drive i dedicated to the linux file system which is kind of amusing, but also really bad... at least if i could see it i could formatt it. Umm im reduced to rambling, cause after everything ive tried i couldnt even change the error ^^;; ill be back by tomorrow with the error message, and what not, but if i could just get a 'how to reformatt linux if linux wont boot' reply i would be eternally greatfull.

Im playing around with linux again as a pasttime, ive seen it do some funky stuff, like pick up the optus cable TV signals.... hahaha which is plain amusing, im guessing they arent scrabled at all or something.

Yeh. Just want to start fresh with something, probably with redhat, screw around on a 6gig HDD that im not too worried about so if i break it then its no real loss. (though its kind of hard to break a HDD... well ive never heard of it anyways)

Oh thats deffinatly too long a post.
    /skythra

Linux Engineer
    1. While I've never used Mandrake, I'd recommend something like Fedora. After that, you can install Debian or Gentoo.

2. I believe the CDROM won't boot probably because your BIOS is not set to boot from it. Change the order of the BIOS and you should be fine.

3. Windows can't see other filesystem than FAT and NTFS. It was designed that way so that you would only have Windows as the main OS.

Again, I'd recommend Fedora. That seems to be one that's gaining popularity. Once you get used to Linux, do try out other distros to see if you like them.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Guru
    I agree with bpark's assessment that you probably didn't set your BIOS boot order correctly. I also agree with him that you should try Fedora. Both my little sisters are now running it and it seems to be working just great for them.

However, I believe that you actually _can_ format Linux partitions with Win2k/WinXP (I just noticed that these words actually look like profanities in my eyes now... lol). If I remember it correctly, there's something along the lines of computer management in adminstrative tools under the control panel (I might well have gotten the names wrong - I've only seen them on Swedish versions of XP). I think that can be used to format arbitrary partitions.

About Mandrake panicking, it might just be a problem with their kernel. Different distributions use different boot kernels, which work differently good on different hardware. Trying another distro may well work just splendid. However, it's hard to make a good analysis without the actual error message.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    2. I believe the CDROM won't boot probably because your BIOS is not set to boot from it. Change the order of the BIOS and you should be fine.
    Trust me the first two things that boot are my two CD roms. This is because i had to install windows twice. Once win HOME so i could then update to win PRO.

The bios is fine... when you have 2 HDD's and 2 cd rom, the boot order is important, else you boot into the wrong thing. Mainly i had the problem where originally i was booting straight into linux (cause i had actually just disabled the pimary HDD to be sure linux would start, and then it reset the bios to boot the slave HDD in its place, so when i went and enabled it, it would still go into mandrake. That is why im so sure the bios is fine, i only set it a few hours ago.

At least the word paniking made my day a little better i mean windows blue screen and gives off a stupid address that you could probably look up in a administrators manual to find what part of the mobo went wrong, but linux: it has class, just doesnt know whats wrong, and paniks!

Im thinking of installing red hat. Im actually playing around cause eventually im going to just set up a server box to run as a gateway/firewall etc. (probably a dedicated quake 3 host too)

The HDD is an entirely seperate HDD to my windows HDD. I did this on purpose, so i can just run one, without the conflitcs that ive heard roumers about.

Im not really worried about the error message, but im guessing that id better go off and buy myself some blank CD's and go burn off various linux distro's and see what i can play around with, im asuming i probably scratched my normal mandrake cd and hence it probably just isnt reading.

Ill get around to the error message if the installation of the distros becomes a pain... i just actually want to wipe everything i HAD on there, and start again from scratch so i can remember what im doing while im using it =p

edit: oh and thanks for the speedy replies. I just wanted to make sure that the cd's SHOULD auto boot... that way i knew what to do next. Cause i was going to try and take some drastic steps...

Oh and windows doesnt see the linux drive at all. Period. (well not quite, it registered it as a CDrom the first time i booted with the drive connected again. but since then hasnt even allocated it a letter... my d and e drives are now cd roms... instead of d being the slave hdd, and e/f bing cd roms.)
    /skythra

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Skythra
    At least the word paniking made my day a little better i mean windows blue screen and gives off a stupid address that you could probably look up in a administrators manual to find what part of the mobo went wrong, but linux: it has class, just doesnt know whats wrong, and paniks!
    Oh, no, that certainly isn't it. Along with the panic it prints out a very detailed error description. If it's a hardware bug, it will give you a screenful of of register dumps, stack backtrace, code dump, etc. If it's a software condition, it will print what went wrong. The word panic simply comes from that it can't continue; it doesn't mean that it doesn't know what went wrong.

Please note that Fedora is the new RedHat. Fedora Core 1 is essentially RedHat 10. Check it out on http://fedora.redhat.com/.

Linux Newbie
    ooh sounds interesting! thanks
    /skythra

Linux Newbie
    On a new note:
    Code:
    &#91;<c0121102>&#93;bh_action+0x22/0x50&#91;kernel&#93;
    &#91;c0121014>&#93;tasklet_hi_action+0x44/0x70&#91;kernel&#93;
    &#91;<c0120e4a>&#93;do_softirq+0xaa/0xb0&#91;kernel&#93;
    . &#40;more of the same, but i couldnt be bothered copying them all down by hand&#41;
    Code&#58; Bad EI value
    <0>kernel panic&#58; Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
    ln interrupt handler not syncing

Thats the short, i guess if you want i could go back and actually copy the entire string of stuff...

I thought somewhere along the lines perhaps it doesnt like the filesystem, like it may have become corrupted or something..

i still cant get mandrake to boot. Also if i want to install mandrake, will it allow me the choice of which hdd to use? Cause i could allways install it using the win install onto the other HDD...

that would give me somewhere to start i guess. Im kind of worried about losing all my files... there are 4 schooling years of work in here, and i dont have any blank CD's right now! hahaha[/code]
    /skythra

Linux Engineer
    i think mandrake 9.1 was the one that shippe dwith a faulty highmem kernel. ie if u have more than 960mb of ram it paniced, if this i u try remiving some ram during install, u can put it back once its running.

also if u have a raid motherboard u might need to get a 3rd party driver and put it ona floppy so u can use it durign isntall.

then theres always turnign off acpi, which has caused me trouble in the past. to do this pqass the command acpi=off to the kernel. i cant remember exactly how to do this but i think its pretty obviousif u select expert mode.

Linux Newbie
    gives me three options on the startup, and then on each of them crashes instantly in a panic. I dont get to enter anything into the kernel all that happens is my keyboard lights flash a few times.
    /skythra

Linux Engineer
    before that, when it says press enter to continue or f1 to go to expert mode.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast