Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
When I download these files (I only tried the first one, admittedly), I get no sound at all in fact, except the click when I start playback and when it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

When I download these files (I only tried the first one, admittedly), I get no sound at all in fact, except the click when I start playback and when it ends. Is that the symptom that you were referring to?

Linux User
    ok here is what I did.

when you start playing files yes you only get a click. But there are severall different thingies(I had no idea on what to call them) in the mixer pannel. when i turn up pcm I get the buzzing sound. Im thinking that its the via built in sound card which is a piece of crap. but anyway just mess with your mixer panell while playing the file and you should get the buzzing sound. If you downloaded all the file try out sample or sample3.
    The computer made me do it!! Slackware and SUSE too Gig\'em WHOOOOP!!
    \"God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain amount of tasks, At the rate I\'m going I will never die.\" (I don\'t know)

Linux Guru
    Well, it does indeed seem that it's reading from the wrong channel. You might have to set your recording options in the mixer, so that it is recording from the sound input.

I know that recording is tricky. Sometimes (like now) I can't get it to work either, seemingly whatever I set my mixer levels to. I just can't seem to remember what is necessary to make it work.

Linux User
    how can i set up X-windows to use ALSA. I found a old soundblaster 16pci card and I know it works. But I cant get it to work with my linux box. Any help please.
    \"God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain amount of tasks, At the rate I\'m going I will never die.\" (I don\'t know)

Linux Guru
    I'm not sure just what you mean. XFree86 doesn't use a sound card at all, whatsoever.

Linux User
    Ok I fixed the problem It was alsa. I went to the site and downloaded the new alsa 1.1 instead 1.1rc2. Now it works great. What I said above was exactly what I meant to say. What I meant is how do I get gnome to use alsa instead of oss. But i fixed that. Now ill see if i can record sound with everything else.

Linux User
    It still doesnt work. Now I'm at a loss Im using also so what are the devices. I think dsp is replaced with audio.

Dolda thanx so far with the help.

Linux Guru
    GNOME simply doesn't use ALSA, and there's really nothing you can do about it, except rewrite esd yourself to add ALSA support. However, if you compile the OSS compatibility modules for ALSA, that shouldn't be a problem.

Linux User
    Gnome plays music fine now. My question is this I now have a mixer for 3 different cards.

snd-via82xx
    snd-bt87x
    snd-ens1371

what I need to know is what device is connected to the bt87x. Thats the audio for the tv tuner card.

Linux Guru
    It was a while ago since I tried ALSA, so I don't quite remember the exact paths. However, I believe that you should be able to find what sound card is connected to which device name if you look in some file in /proc/alsa.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast