Find the answer to your Linux question:
Having Problems installing. Downloaded several different types, used CDburner XP pro to convert to an .ISO file, burned the file to a bootable CD and nothing. I have partioned the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Linux onto an empty laptop HHD

Having Problems installing. Downloaded several different types, used CDburner XP pro to convert to an .ISO file, burned the file to a bootable CD and nothing. I have partioned the harddrive with some dell software a buddy of mine gave me. I have used every DOS command I could remember to get the file copied to the hard drive and nothing works. The C: drive will not come up. The comp says that it is an invalid drive. The setup side recognizes the HHD but through DOS I get nothing. Through the Dell software the C: drive comes up but it is a ramdrive with only 512 of mem.

PLEASE HELP!

well first of all how old is the laptop and what size is the harddrive?
    as far as age of laptop what processor do you have in it

Just Joined!
    60gb HD, Dell Latitude c840, P4 cpu, 512 of ram. Built in 03 if I remember right.

does the bios see the drive correctly ? did you change the boot order in the bios to boot from cd ?

andy
    SLOMO: acer extensa 5235 2.2ghz,2gb ram 160gb hdd wireless
    SPEEDY: homebrew desktop,Amd x2 dualcore,2gb ram,500gb +1tb( 2x500gb) hdd suse 11.3,32mb fibreline
    registered linux user #401845