Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello...I'm using RedHat Linux (8.0, 2.4.18-14 kernel) for the first time. It finished installed w/o a problem, except I can't get the NIC card to work. Linux Ethernet - HowTo ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

eth0 is detected, but can't ping, can't access the inernet

Hello...I'm using RedHat Linux (8.0, 2.4.18-14 kernel) for the first time. It finished installed w/o a problem, except I can't get the NIC card to work. Linux Ethernet - HowTo ( http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Ethernet-HOWTO-4.html#ss4.1 ) lists my 3com 3c905C card and states "Status: Supported, Driver Name: 3c59x." In the hardware tab in Network Configurations the card is listed as "3Com 3c590/3c595/3c90x/3c980." The status of it in the Devices tab specifies it as active. No other cards are listed or installed. When booting, I get "Bringing up interface eth0... [OK]". (It doesn't get OK'ed if I have it get an IP dynamically. It's OK'ed only when I specify an IP for it). Everything seems fine to me, yet I can't access any websites.

I searched these threads and came across the following:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=498

Quote Originally Posted by wassy121
    the gui's for network config aren't always that good, try doing it command line style, first, check to see if the card is initialized with `/sbin/ifconfig eth0` to find out if it has gotten an IP address already, and/or if it is working/initialized. If it is not in there, type `/sbin/lsmod` to find out if the module is loaded
    /sbin/ifconfig eht0 does display the IP I assigned to it. However, I can't ping it

/sbin/lsmod does display the nic's model

I've been messing around w/ this for a while now since last night. Anything else you guys suggest? Or something I'm overlooking?

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by majik
    However, I can't ping it
    You do mean that you can't ping the NIC's address itself, right?
    Could you post the output of "/sbin/route -n" here along with the card's IP address?
    Also, check to see that the flags of eth0 (the third line of the ifconfig output) include the UP flag.

Just Joined!
    I was stubborn in not trying another NIC card b/c everything seemed to be fine, but while I was gone my brother tried a RealTek. Lo and behold, its now working properly (as far as we know).

Dolda2000, I read your post after swapping NIC's, but here's the output for /sbin/route -n (w/ the RealTek):

Code:
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
    192.168.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
    127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo
    0.0.0.0         192.168.0.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0
    awol from #redhat in efnet had also asked me to try that command last night and as I recall, the output was pretty much idential.

As I already mentioned, it's working now with a different card. Just still curious what was the problem to begin with .

Just Joined!

I found the solution for you.

I am sure you are not gonna believe that. Just type
    ifdown eth0 and ifup eth0 . This is the whole thing you need to do. If you type ifconfig now, you will see your ip address configured there correctly.
    GOOD LUCK !

Quote Originally Posted by majik View Post
    I was stubborn in not trying another NIC card b/c everything seemed to be fine, but while I was gone my brother tried a RealTek. Lo and behold, its now working properly (as far as we know).

Dolda2000, I read your post after swapping NIC's, but here's the output for /sbin/route -n (w/ the RealTek):

Code:
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
    192.168.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
    127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo
    0.0.0.0         192.168.0.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0
    awol from #redhat in efnet had also asked me to try that command last night and as I recall, the output was pretty much idential.

As I already mentioned, it's working now with a different card. Just still curious what was the problem to begin with .
    Last edited by kianoosh49; 06-21-2012 at 05:36 PM. Reason: put more space between the commands