Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi everyone, i have a problem installing my red hat linux 9 from both hard drive and CD. when it ask me to select the partition and the directory holding ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Post Red Hat 9 Installation Problem

hi everyone,

i have a problem installing my red hat linux 9 from both hard drive and CD.

when it ask me to select the partition and the directory holding images it gives me the following error:

"Device /dev/hdd1 does not appear to contain Red Hat CDROM images"

when trying to install directly from CD-ROM drive it gives me:

"The Red Hat Linux CD was not found in any of your CDROM drives. Please insert the Red Hat Linux CD and press ok to retry."

By the way the first CD doesn't boot after i changed my BIOS setting to boot from CD-ROM drive so i press F8 and choose "command prompt" and use this file to start the installation /dosutils/autoboot.bat

also i made a boot diskette ( from bootdisk.img using rawrite utility ) to start the installation it gives me the first error "Device /dev/hdd1 does not appear to contain...etc" when it reach this step.

i copied the first cd to my hard drive C:\ partition under folder called "linux"

so i tried

/linux/images
    /linux/isolinux
    /linux/dosutils
    /linux/RedHat/Rpms
    /linux/RedHat/base

i didn't have the Cd's as .iso images earlier, i have previously Burned them from a friend cd's.
    my File System is Fat32 on all partitions, i'm also aware of case sensitive folder names.

i can't do MD5sum test now cause i don't have the original ones anymore and i think the MD5 checksum for the same distribution over the internet maybe different.
    i don't think i should make ISO's back again out of those Cd's and point to them on my hard drive.

what is the image files the installation program is looking for exactly isn't it boot.iso under /images folder on the first CD ? am i missing another step?
    or it is a corrupted installation cd ( so the images is corrupted too ) and i should download the first CD somewhere else?

ur support will be appreciated.

Regards,

Linux User
    Might we interest you in updating your OS to something more Current? RH9 hasn't been officially supported for about 3 years now as far as I know.

take a look at Fedora Core 4 if you wish to stick with a RedHat based Distro..
    http://fedora.redhat.com/

or is there a specific reason you need the RH 9 iso's again ?
    far...out

No, Not necessary Red Hat 9 . But it will take quite long time downloading any other Full linux distribution from the internet - around 1.8 GB ( 3 CD * 600 MB ) or more!.

so i was wondering if i can fix the problem without downloading anything more if that really a corrupted iso.

i'm using shell account right now but with some restrictions, so i wanted to have it on my own box.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    All the major Linux magazines usually have variousl Linux Distro CD's attached to them. you could watch the news stand for the one you want.. Redhat, Suse, Debian, etc..

or Ubuntu would be happy to send you CD's of their distro for free.. how many would you like so you can hand them out to your firends ?

https://shipit.ubuntu.com/
    far...out

Just Joined!

Smile linux booting problem

Hi everyone/Coldfire,

I having the same problem while installing my red hat linux 9 from both hard drive and CD. I am trying to install linux 9 in the same pc where Winxp is
    already running there.

I try to boot from cd1 but it doesn't boot from cd, So I create bootable
    disk and try to boot from flopy. It boot from floppy but while install linux
    when it was asking options for installation. When trying to install directly
    from CD-ROM drive it gives me the following error. I can read the same cd
    from winxp.

"The Red Hat Linux CD was not found in any of your CDROM drives. Please insert the Red Hat Linux CD and press ok to retry."

By the way the first CD doesn't boot after i changed my BIOS setting to boot from CD-ROM drive so i press F8 and choose "command prompt" and use this file to start the installation /dosutils/autoboot.bat

i copied the first cd to my hard drive C:\ partition under folder called "linux"
    so i tried

/linux/images
    /linux/isolinux
    /linux/dosutils
    /linux/RedHat/Rpms
    /linux/RedHat/base

i didn't have the Cd's as .iso images earlier, i have previously Burned them from a friend cd's. My File System is Fat32 on all partitions, i'm also aware of case sensitive folder names.

I don't have original linux cds.

Which are the image files the installation program is looking for exactly isn't it boot.iso under /images folder on the first CD ? am i missing another step?
    or it is a corrupted installation cd ( so the images is corrupted too ) and i should download the first CD somewhere else?

ur support will be appreciated.

please let me know or you can send me on my email manish_meet_in@yahoo.co.uk.

Hi coldfire can you please let me know how could you resolved this problem.

best reagards,
    Manish