Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
It's been a while, and for those who think I've asked this before, I haven't. It's just very similar =) I use Belkin 54mbps wireless network. My router is plugged ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

networking linux to windows for internet

It's been a while, and for those who think I've asked this before, I haven't. It's just very similar =)

I use Belkin 54mbps wireless network. My router is plugged directly into my cable modem, and my computer has a wireless card. The card is non-compliant with linux, and Belkin doesn't release drivers for linux. linux-wlan didn't have anything (that i saw).

I thought about making a new computer and putting linux on that one, then use ethernet to network those computers togther. I don't know much about networking, as I've only done wireless networks (flame away, I kno i'm a newbie =p).

Is it possible for me to put linux on a completely different machine, and network w/ ethernet to my current computer and have it be able to use the internet? And this may be stupid, do I just take a ethernet cable and plug it into the cards on both comps, or do I need a router or hub or somthing?

Im running windows XP home, and will probaly use redhat 9.0.
    I've tried eerything possible, linux just doesn't like Belkin.

Linux User
    That wouldn't be hard in theory but I wouldn't know how to tell you to set up windows for it. Basically you could add a second NIC to your Windows machine and use a crossover cable to connect to the new one. Then you'd have to set up the second NIC in windows with the ip and broadcast and such and just set up linux with that info. For example, set the ip of the second NIC to 192.168.0.1(generic private IP), the broadcast to 192.168.1.255 and the mask to 255.255.0.0 and then use the same info on the Linux box except change the IP to 192.168.0.2. Then you'd just have to set the gateway of the Linux box to the IP of the second NIC on the Windows box and tell Windows to do ip forwarding on the second NIC. That's what I would recommend, sorry I coudln't be more help with the Windows setup.

Linux Guru
    I just want to add one thing. Use Fedora Core 1 instead of RedHat 9. FC1 is essentially RH10.
    http://fedora.redhat.com/

Just Joined!

re:

most informative, thank you. now i just need money for another box.

also, I should have given you more info.

There are two computers on my network. Both have Belkin Wireless cards. My cable modem (comcast) is plugged into the router directly, so:

my computer
    \
    router----------->cable modem
    /
    other computer

(does that look like a starship too you, too? )

Would I still do what was said in the first reply, or is it different now?

re: fedora

Thanks, I'll look in to it Dolda.

Linux User

XP Home

XP has an option in the task pane of network connections to share this connection. This will launch a wizard that you can work through. It will override your internal NIC TCP/IP settings and use a non-routable range of address something like 192.168.0.1.

Set this up first. Then set another box RH or Windows to have a similar IP address 192.168.0.2 for example. and an identical subnet mask prob 255.255.0.0.

On a windows box that is all you need. In IE remove all information about internet connections and proxies. Somehow the windows box will pick up internet requests and forward them automatically. This should work with RH as well. If it fails then set the default gateway as the internal address of the windows box (that is the network card cabled to the other PC). I think the windows box also forwards DHCP requests so it should be possible to set the RH box to get its TCPIP settings automatically via DHCP.

About cabling, I would buy a cheap 100BaseT switch check out this one at dabs.com
    http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/hard...quicklinx=2J7T

Remember to buy the correct cabling - most standard networking stuff is BaseT - uses Twisted pair cable. Unshielded being the cheapest, hence UTP. This is categorised by number of wires inside and quality of cable. CAT 5e UTP will enable you to upgrade to gigabit in the future so it's generally worth getting.

A question though, what router are you using?
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Just Joined!

re:

Sorry it took so long, had OTHER abyss problems =p

I have belkin 54mps router:
    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=136493

And a belkin wireless desktop card:
    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...uct_Id=136479]

The router is plugged directly into the modem, so my computer doesnt pass through another comp to get to it. The downstairs computer is plugged into the router via ethernet cable i believe. (its my dads, so i dont mess with it heh)

Any helps appreciated.

Linux User
    So what's stopping you from connecting the new Linux machine to the router?

Just Joined!

re:

My mom =p

She doesnt want cables running down the stairs, and to qoute
    "Nobody is drilling any damn cables through MY ceiling!"

And my dad is a control freak.

So I have to do it the hard way.

Linux Guru
    I don't know how the telephone outlets work in the country you live in, but if they work like here, I think that it would likely be rather easy to rewire them so that you could connect the modem to an outlet closer to your computer. But that's just how I'd do it.

Linux User
    Ok I'm still confused as to where all the computers and everything are, could you give us the location of all the computers and the router?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast