Find the answer to your Linux question:
One problem I always have with Fedora is that when I try and put Linux on a second drive, it does not write grub to the mbr. The configuration which ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Grub on MBR - SOLVED

One problem I always have with Fedora is that when I try and put Linux on a second drive, it does not write grub to the mbr.

The configuration which I really want is:

hda - XP - 200Gb
    hdb - (160Gb) partitioned so that 1st 25Gb is Linux. Rest is NTFS storage.

Suse and Kubantu can do this. But for some reason Fedora will not write grub to the mbr on hda. I think it has something to do with grub having to be in the first 1024 cylinders of the drive.

I would really like to make this happen without having to create a little fat32 partition at the very beginning of hda. A massive partition re-arrangement like that is not to be undertaken lightly.

My BIOS does not allow me to boot from hdb, so that is not an option.

Has anyone been able to solve this in their experience?

Thanks

you should be able to do a grub-install /dev/hda .

If you need to, boot on the install CD (DVD) then do a chroot /mnt/sysimage and then do the grub-install.

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!
    I ran grub-install /dev/hda. I got an error message which said that my bios does not have a corresponding configuration on hdb2 (words to that effect).

I then ran grub --install /dev/hda which took me to a grub prompt. I ran a number of commands there to no avail (e.g. boot, boot /dev/hda).

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    try:

Code:
    grub --no-floppy (if you have no floppy if you do then skip the no floppy part)
    root (hd1,0)
    setup (hd0)
    quit
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!
    When I ran root (hd1,0) the error was:

Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x7
    I then ran setup (hd0) and got:

Error 11: unrecognised device string
    Just to be clear. The second drive (hdb) is installed and working. I can access the ntfs partition in My Computer and can see the whole thing in Partition Magic.

can you post your /boot/grub/menu.lst

and have a look and this snipped taken verbatim from the Gentoo Handbook on the instructions I previously gave you:

Alternative: Setting up GRUB using manual instructions

To start configuring GRUB, you type in grub. You'll be presented with the grub> grub command-line prompt. Now, you need to type in the right commands to install the GRUB boot record onto your hard drive.

Code Listing 7: Starting the GRUB shell

# grub

Note: If your system does not have any floppy drives, add the --no-floppy option to the above command to prevent grub from probing the (non-existing) floppy drives.

In the example configuration we want to install GRUB so that it reads its information from the boot-partition /dev/hda1, and installs the GRUB boot record on the hard drive's MBR (master boot record) so that the first thing we see when we turn on the computer is the GRUB prompt. Of course, if you haven't followed the example configuration during the installation, change the commands accordingly.

The tab completion mechanism of GRUB can be used from within GRUB. For instance, if you type in "root (" followed by a TAB, you will be presented with a list of devices (such as hd0). If you type in "root (hd0," followed by a TAB, you will receive a list of available partitions to choose from (such as hd0,0).

By using the tab completion, setting up GRUB should be not that hard. Now go on, configure GRUB, shall we?

Code Listing 8: Installing GRUB in the MBR

grub> root (hd0,0) (Specify where your /boot partition resides)
    grub> setup (hd0) (Install GRUB in the MBR)
    grub> quit (Exit the GRUB shell)

Note: If you want to install GRUB in a certain partition instead of the MBR, you have to alter the setup command so it points to the right partition. For instance, if you want GRUB installed in /dev/hda3, then the command becomes setup (hd0,2). Few users however want to do this.

If you have more questions regarding GRUB, please consult the GRUB FAQ or the GRUB Manual.

Note: When you reinstall a kernel, you do not need to copy over the files anymore. Just run make install after compiling the kernel; it will automatically copy the necessary files and adjust the GRUB configuration.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!
    Thanks spencerf.

I've got it working now. I will remember that procedure.

My boot partition was mounted at hdb2, so all I had to do was change the first command to root (hd1,1).

Regards
    whittler

cool glad I could help.

If you could please edit your original post and include (SOLVED) in the Title so that others know that your post is solved and can therefore skip it if they please or look at it if they have similar problem.

Just Joined!
    Hi spencerf,

I attempted to edit the title to include SOLVED (as can be seen from the top of this page), but for some reason it does not show up when you look at it from the Installation Forum view.

If there is a way of doing that, please let me know and I'll be happy to attend to it.

Thanks again