Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am wondering if the 64 bit version of Suze would be alot faster than the 32 bit? I have a 64 bit CPU now but have re-installed the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Suze 32bit Vrs 64bit

Hello,

I am wondering if the 64 bit version of Suze would be alot faster than the 32 bit?

I have a 64 bit CPU now but have re-installed the 32 bit as that is all I have. Is it worth the upgrade/hassle to go to the 64 bit version?
    Thanks for any info in advance.

Just Joined!
    I personally can't say if the 64bit will be faster, at least not yet as I haven't installed it on a 64bit machine yet.

What caught my eye about your post was your comment about purchasing the 64bit version. I am not sure what version of SuSE you are using, but you may not have to purchase a different copy. I purchased SuSE 10.0 late last month and there is a tag on the box it came in which indicates it contains both the 32bit and 64bit versions. In particular, the 64bit is noted as being available for AMD64 and Intel EM64T.

You may want to check your packaging and see if it notes this information or not.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Headcase
    Hello,

I am wondering if the 64 bit version of Suze would be alot faster than the 32 bit?
    In my experience, they're about the same.

I have a 64 bit CPU now but have re-installed the 32 bit as that is all I have. Is it worth the upgrade/hassle to go to the 64 bit version?
    Thanks for any info in advance.
    Personally, I say stick with 32-bit. You're going to run into less installation issues that way. Some 32-bit programs have issues when you try to install them on a 64-bit distribution, and other programs quite simply do not have a 64-bit version available. There's no real performance improvement at this point in time, so all you really get from running 64-bit is bragging rights.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    And there's no Macromedia Flash player for 64 bit Linux, so if you want to watch whizzy content on t'internet, then I strongly suggest you stay in the folds of 32bit land.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!

Wink Thanks for comments

Will stick with 32bit 4now.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff
    And there's no Macromedia Flash player for 64 bit Linux, so if you want to watch whizzy content on t'internet, then I strongly suggest you stay in the folds of 32bit land.
    Actualy there is a pkg that will play them but i cant think of the name of it atm or i'd have all 64-bit apps

so i dont currently have a 64-bit firefox running ... i have a 32bit ffx and thus 32bit mplayer and win32codecs (but i have in the past had all except the win32codecs(but there there was a workaround))

but everything else is strait 64bit though there are still issues from time to time but with out geeks to test and to file bugs it will just take longer till all works flawlessly
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org