Find the answer to your Linux question:
[Total Newb] its my first time using linux and I just got everything installed and now im in the Gnome gui but I cannot figure out how to change the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New Redhat 8.0 Install Refresh Rate Issue

[Total Newb]

its my first time using linux and I just got everything installed and now im in the Gnome gui but I cannot figure out how to change the refresh rate of my monitor... im going blind @ 60hz... I tried going into the display properties but it didnt have any provision for changing the refresh rate, only color depth and resolution... and I tried modifying the XF86 Config thing in the console to no avail... I need to up this res before I go blind... any suggestions?

[/Total Newb]

Linux Engineer
    Why can't you edit the XF86Config file? That is where you specify the refresh rate.

Just Joined!
    I did edit the xf86 config file, but all that does is let you specify your minimum and maximum horizontal and vertical frequencies, it doesnt let you select which frequency you want though, is there a command to say here, I want THIS refresh rate...

or is entering your min/max hv frequencies and hoping linux chooses the highest one all you can do...

Linux Engineer
    specify a smaller range

Just Joined!
    thank you Genlee... that worked for me, and now I can see!